Food 2 years ago
Super Easy Fajita Bowl Recipe for One
As some you know, Hannah has just started to get into cooking and is on the lookout for easy, healthy, and delicious recipes she can make after coming home from work, or simply for a girl’s night in. It’s not easy to have a recipe that fits into all three of those categories, but these sheet pan fajitas do.
These bowls are one of those recipes that are likely to become a weekly thing. They’re just so simple, so fast, and so amazingly good! One pan, healthy ingredients, and ready in about thirty minutes. Basically, mine (and Hannah’s) dream weeknight dinner, especially when accompanied with a side of chips and guacamole. And OK, if we’re being honest, a margarita too!
Here’s how to make these easy fajita bowls. Arrange all of your chicken, veggies, and seasonings on a sheet and bake in the oven for twenty minutes or so, until the peppers are charred and the chicken has cooked through. While the fajitas are roasting away in the oven, make some rice for your fajita bowls. I highly, recommend a bag of frozen brown rice from Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s. Lifesaver.
Tip: keep bags of frozen brown rice in your freezer for easy meals throughout the week. Brown rice is the perfect base for all kinds of recipes. Just right for using in roasted veggie bowls…and these chicken fajitas bowls.
When the chicken is done, it’s assembly time. In a bowl layer the rice, chicken, peppers, avocado, a sprinkle of cheese, and some tortilla chips. And done. Yes you guys, it’s just that simple.
Trust me, anyone can make these bowls, and you will love them!
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajita Bowls
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt and pepper
3 tablespoons extra olive oil
1 orange and (1) red bell pepper, sliced
1 poblano pepper, sliced
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
juice of 1 lime, plus more for serving
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, plus more for serving
2 cups cooked brown rice or quinoa, for serving
½ cup shredded cheddar or crumbled feta cheese
1 avocado, sliced
plain Greek yogurt, for serving
favorite salsa, for serving
tortilla chips, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. On a large baking sheet, toss together the chicken, chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, kosher salt, and pepper, plus 2 tablespoons olive oil. Scoot the chicken to one side of the pan, arranging it in an even layer.
3. To the opposite side of the pan, add the peppers, onions and remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Transfer to the oven and bake for 20-35 minutes or until the chicken has cooked through and the peppers are beginning to char.
4. Remove from the oven and toss everything together with the lime juice and cilantro.
5. To serve, divide the rice among bowls. Top with the chicken, peppers, cheese, avocado, and salsa. Serve with tortilla chips.
Hey guys! Hannah hopping on really quick to tell you just how much I love this dish. I actually ended up making it twice since we shot this post! And trust me when I tell you if I can do it- so can you. And yes, I did take a shot of tequila while the chicken was in the oven. I was feeling the vibe, okay?
So are you going to make the sheet pan chicken fajita bowls this weekend? Let us know in the comments below and have a great Friday!
What do YOU think?
It's hard to find snacks that are healthy AND taste good. Luckily, I've got five healthy low carb cucumber snacks that are delicious and super easy to make!