Outfits

Style Tips for Petite Girls

I know plenty of petite girls who struggle to find clothing that not only fit them, but that looks good. In today’s episode of Styled by Chriselle, I’m styling my girl Idalia. She might be tiny but she’s got BIG style. So for a new episode of Styled by Chriselle (ICYMI: make sure to see how I styled Laura and Hannah in previous episodes), I styled Idalia in some amazing looks that fit her personality and her body type! And since Idalia also has some awesome style tips for petite girls, I did a quick little interview to pick her brain about her style. Scroll down to read it!

IMG_2087 2
IMG_2090
IMG_2086 2
710A2914
710A2882
710A2936

1. How would you describe your body type?

I consider myself petite (but with a booty!). It’s always a fun challenge for me to emulate what I see on the runway/magazines and tweak it to fit my body type.

2. Are there certain trends/looks that look better on petite people vs. taller people?

Hmm… good question. Because I managed models for such a long time, I became very receptive to what does not work for shorter people. This is where I get tall people FOMO.  Personally, I stay away from “boyfriend jeans” as I look like an oompa loompa (No offense Willy), high-ankled shoes (Always always always show ankles! They elongate legs), and billowy tops (No need to look preggers if you’re not).

3. What do you do wear when you want to feel extra confident?

Not to sound like a cheeseball but confidence REALLY does have to come from within. If you feel like you can rock an outfit and you really work it, you’ll convince everyone the same.  It’s a mood thing with me. If I’m feeling cranky, no matter what I wear will feel sh*tty. If I’m in a great mood, I can probably wear a garbage bag and go skipping down the streets of SoHo whistling Zipadee Doo Daa.

4. Do you have any styling tricks/tips?

Tailoring is key. Buy clothes that actually fit and if they don’t, tailor/alter them. Invest in closet staples and don’t jump to trends. Tuck your shirts in, show those ankles, wear incredible perfume, don’t wear a million pounds of makeup, be nice, don’t be thirsty. Get my drift?

5. Any particular brands do you love wearing?

Levi’s are my go-to jeans. I’m loving Cinq a Sept for the everyday elevated style. Marc Jacobs has always been a classic staple in my closet. Aspiration-ally Gucci. The past 4 seasons have left my jaw on the floor wanting mostly every piece.

6. Fill in the blank: You should never wear _____ to work.

A stank face. Stay home.

7. Perfect date night out outfit?

Low cut silk blouse (no bra), leather pants, flats, winged eyeliner and messy sexy hair.

8. Any styling tips you’ve picked up from Chriselle?

The most remarkable trick I’ve learned from her especially traveling with her to Fashion Week is to not overthink anything. This is a woman that literally throws on whatever and walks out the door like she has bigger things to worry about. My mind was blown the first time I traveled with her. I’ve also learned a lot about prints and not always sticking to solid colored clothing. She takes chances with her outfits and always pushes herself to evolve and not to stay comfortable. And lets not even mention skincare… That’s another blog post in and of itself 😉

9. Top 5 most used emojis?

Thumbs up, Spanish dancing woman, The happy face that looks like it’s crying and laughing at the same time (ie: me hahahaha)

10. Last, but not least: lifestyle motto:

YOLO.
sigxo_chriselle

• dalila says:

I love all the outfits! I like so much Idalia, she’s funny and full of energy. I’d like you to style Drew or Timmy.
    Bisous de Paris

• Jane says:

I love the long silver circular disk earrings in the DVF outfit. I saw that you linked to two earrings on your YouTube vid. But there aren’t the exact earrings. Can you please provide a link to the exact earrings? Thanks!

• Love this! I’m definitely not a petite girl but these looks look great!

• Great tips! I’m so petite, I needed to read this 🙂

• P. Mata says:

I generally love shirt dresses but not this. It just loooks like she’s wearing a shirt and nothing more, and looks a little too sloppy…like a rolled out of bed and couldn’t bother to look otherwise. I realize she short and requires a shorter length to give the illusion of being taller but something with maybe a few more inches would help. Also being that she’s going for the oversized casual look by wearing the neckline slightly askew and the cuffs undone; It would be better to cinch the waist with a belt to elevate the look and keep the neckline in place rather than having to constantly adjust. Plus it also accentuates her curves. Also no slippers…they belong at home rather than with this look. Heels would make this look more put together and still stay true with the casual chic.

• Linda says:

Such great tips! Thanks for sharing!

Linda
    Blog || Instagram

• Kiri says:

A big pair of heels always makes a great outfit for someone petite.
    My fav is really skinny jeans with louboutins and a chrisp shirt!
    Kiri
    Set to Glow

• Kay Nguyen says:

She looks amazing in the maxi dress! Great tips btw <3

• Jennifer says:

How fun! I really enjoyed the interview and the tips. 🙂

• Shloka says:

I LOVE this! Im even more petite than your friend – Im 5’1! I love how you’ve styled her and all these looks are so inspiring! Great great tips!

x
    Shloka

• Ann-Marie says:

You have the magic touch for fashion!

• Cat says:

Dear Chriselle, i adore your posts on motherhood and your styling tips.
    Can you do a series for expecting moms in their 2nd and 3rd trimester?
    Would love to see how you would incorporate the latest trends to flatter the mommies to be!

• HERRENDEZVOUS says:

Great tips for petite girls! Thanks for sharing, Chriselle!

XX

Love, http://herrendezvous.com/

• Jennifer says:

This was such a helpful post for me! 🙂

• Elizabeth says:

Loved this video so much! <3 🙂 You always have the best styling tips!

XO, Elizabeth

• […] I’m styling my girl Idalia. She might be tiny but she’s got BIG style. from The Chriselle Factorhttp://thechrisellefactor.com/2017/05/style-tips-petite-girls/ from Tumblr […]

• Keri says:

Absolutely loving these videos when you style different body types! These looks were impeccable

Enclothed Cognition

• Jessica says:

As a 5′ girl, I always love how Idalia dresses her petite frame! Way to go Chriselle on making her look fab as always! Loved the video! Muah! Jessica thisseasonsgold.com

• Kelly says:

So, so pretty! I especially love that black and white look!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

• La Bijoux Bella | by mia says:

Wonderful tips for petite girls dressing tips! Love ❤️ love it!

🌸LA BIJOUX BELLA 🌸| By Mia | A Creative Lifestyle Blog