Beauty 7 years ago
7 Ways to Use Coconut Oil
Since I’ve been moisturizing my growing belly every night with oils, I thought I’d share with you guys one of my favorite oils that I use– coconut oil! Packed with Vitamin E and fatty acids, coconut oil is perfect for meeting most if not all of your beauty needs! Introducing 7 ways to reap the natural beautifying benefits of coconut oil with these easy-to-DIY beauty tips!
1. Shaving cream
Simply slather coconut oil over your legs in the shower and shave per usual. The coconut oil acts as a protective lather between the blade and the skin, preventing irritation and razor burn. It not only acts as a shaving cream but an intense moisturizer as well. I’ve always had issues with my legs being dry , and felt that shaving cream didn’t moisturize as much as I needed it to. Whereas with coconut oil not only did it instantly moisturize my legs, but also keeps it smooth & shiny days after.
2. Cuticle Oil
With regular application, coconut oil is an effective cuticle treatment which will strengthen and condition your nails, helping seal in the moisture needed to combat dryness and brittleness.
3. Hair mask
Honey and coconut oil is quite the power couple providing your locks a beautiful, healthy shine. This is a great mask to repair and moisturize dry and damaged hair.
2. 1 tbsp organic honey
1. Mix ingredients in a bowl
2. Rub mixture with fingertips all over hair (could be wet or dry) , but mainly focusing on the ends of the hair.
3. Tie your hair into a bun and leave mask on for 30-40 mins.
4. Rinse with your regular shampoo and conditioner routine
4. Makeup remover
Coconut oil will gently remove even the most lasting of waterproof mascara whilst moisturizing that paper-thin skin under your eyes. Use fingers or cotton ball and massage in circular motions.
5. Body scrub
This 3-ingredient sea salt scrub will exfoliate dry skin while moisture seeps deep into the skin’s layers. To indulge your island senses, add a few drops of citrus essential oils (i.e. grapefruit, orange, etc.).
1. Mix ingredients in a bowl and transfer into a jar to store.
2. Rub mixture with fingertips all over body with special attention to drier areas (i.e. elbows, knees, etc). Because of the coarse texture of the salt particles, avoid rubbing too harshly against skin.
6. Whipped body lotion
The fatty acids in coconut oil lock in moisture while the Vitamin E helps heal scars and burns. Whip together with shea butter and almond oil to create a buttery cream that revitalizes skin’s softness while improving skin’s texture. Plus, your skin will be smelling seductive, warm and comforting.
1. Melt shea butter and coconut oil in the top of a double boiler. Remove from heat and let cool for 30 minutes.
2. Stir in almond oil
3. Place oil mixture in freezer or outside to chill.
4. Wait until oils start to partially solidify then whip until a butter-like consistency is achieved.
5. Place in clean, glass jar and enjoy! A little goes a long way.
7. Cheekbone highlighter
Last but not least, my little secret to “dewy” looking skin. Simply sweep a small amount of coconut oil with fingers on your cheekbones to create a radiantly dewy complexion.
As most of you guys know I have officially launched the “Health & Nutrition” category last week with our very first post on “Greek Yogurt in 7 Ways“. I was overwhelmed with the positive response from that post, and even to some of you sharing your very own Greek yogurt creations with me on Twitter & Instagram! I decided that I wanted to create a series called “7 Ways”, where I show you how to use certain products and recipes in multiple different ways. Please let me know in the comments below if you would like to see more posts like this!