California Chicken, Veggie, and Avocado Rice Bowls
Hey all! It’s Tieghan from Half Baked Harvest, I’m back today sharing a quick, easy, and healthy recipe that’s perfect for the summer days ahead.
Funny enough this is a recipe that I’ve been making for my family for years now. It’s actually one of the first recipes I shared on HBH… and one of the most popular. Growing up, my dad would serve my brothers and I chicken and rice multiple times a week. No one complained, one because we really didn’t know much else, and two, because I think we all really liked it. Simple food, but good food, you know?
Well, this recipe is what I call “elevated” chicken and rice. It’s much more colorful, much more flavorful, and really, just an all-around great dish!
Here are the details.
Start with some rice. My go-to is always steamed white rice, but you can also use brown rice, quinoa, or even cauliflower rice if you’re watching the carbs. I’m not going to lie, I love carbs, so rice it is for me…
Next, the chicken, it’s seasoned simply with spices, and lots of fresh parsley, basil, and lemon juice. Then it’s time to grill. I love skewering my chicken but feel free to grill up whole breasts or tenders if that’s easier. During this same time, you’ll also grill up all of your vegetables. I love using bell peppers and zucchini, but feel free to use your favorites. All veggies are good here!
Grilling is my favorite method of cooking chicken and vegetables throughout the warm months of the year. The grill adds so much flavor, requires almost zero dishes, and no heating of the oven. Of course, if you don’t have a grill, you can simply roast the chicken and veggies together in the oven.
When you have everything grilled up, it’s time to assemble your bowls. I layer my bowls with rice, chicken, veggies, mashed avocado, fresh cherry tomatoes (grab some from your farmers market), heart-healthy walnuts, and a little-crumbled cheese (you know for good measure).
Done. It’s as easy as that to create this colorful meal.
Also, if you’re into meal prepping, this is the perfect recipe to make on a Sunday and pack up for easy lunches and dinners throughout the week. My only recommendation is to hold off on mashing the avocado to just before serving so that the avocado retains its fresh green color.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced or grated
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
kosher salt and pepper
2 red bell peppers, cut into fourths
1 zucchini or yellow summer squash, sliced into 1/4 rounds
2 avocados, mashed
juice of 1 lemon or lime
1/3 cup fresh parsley or basil chopped
steamed white or brown rice, for serving
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup walnuts, toasted
1/2 cup blue cheese crumbled (optional)
1. In a gallon size zip top bag combine 3 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, paprika, onion powder, cayenne, parsley, basil, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Add the chicken and toss well.
2. Toss the peppers and zucchini with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper.
3. Set your grill, grill pan or skillet to medium-high heat. Skewer the chicken
4. Grill the chicken for 3-4 minutes per side, gently flipping 2-3 times until chicken is cooked through and has light char marks. While the chicken is grilling, grill the zucchini for about 4 minutes on each side, or until tender, and the red peppers for about 5 minutes, flipping once or twice during cooking.
5. Remove everything from the grill and let cool 5 minutes. Once cool slice the red peppers into strips, and if you have whole chicken breasts cut those into cubes.
6. Add the mashed avocados to a bowl. Stir in the lemon juice, parsley, and a pinch of salt. Mix well.
7. To assemble the bowls, divide the rice among 4 bowls or plates. Top each bowl of rice with equal amounts of chicken, grilled peppers and zucchini. Add a large dollop of avocado and then add the fresh tomatoes and walnuts. Sprinkle with blue cheese, if desired. Enjoy!
Will you be making this for dinner? Leave a comment down below and I’ll see you guys next time!