LIFESTYLE

8 Tips to Help You Sleep Better (For Real)

Hey Everyone!  It’s your girl, Jane, back on the blog today and I’m here to talk to you about one of my absolute favorite things to do: sleep.  Ask anyone in my family, my friends, work friends, even my nephew Nolan and they will all let you know how much I pride myself on getting adequate rest.

I firmly believe that being able to consistently get a good night of rest is truly a gift.  It’s critical to your skin, health, sanity and overall well-being.  When you’re well rested, your thoughts are clear and lucid, your skin’s texture is significantly better and your equilibrium is right where it needs to be. These days, with technology enabling us to access everything and anything at any given time, we need to be more conscious of the time we spend looking at our screens and make sure we have a well-balanced lifestyle.  More often than not, we end up being subconsciously hyper-stimulated 24/7 which ends up affecting our sleep cycles which then causes poor sleeping habits to develop.

So whether it be from stress, anxiety, change, insomnia, the after 10 PM Instagram dark hole, or a mixture of it all, here are 8 natural sleeping tips I swear by to ensure I catch my zzz’s every night no matter how crazy the day gets.

Light a soothing candle when you’re home to relieve stress from the work day and take time to relax. The act of lighting a candle immediately warms up the room and puts your mind at ease. Palo Santo is known for having properties such as fighting inflammation and stimulating the immune system.

Brain Dump your to-do list in a journal and leave your to-dos organized for the next day. Don’t take your list to bed with you!

Drink a cup of tea that’s good for sleep like:

+ Peppermint (also great for digestions)
+ Chamomile (aids in sleep, digestion and is loaded with antioxidants)
+ Valerian (used to treat insomnia, anxiety, stress and sleep issues. Also has a positive effect on blood pressure.)
+ Lavender (Improve mood, promote restful sleep, prevents infection, soothe bloating)
+ Lemon Balm (aids to improve sleep, reduce anxiety, heal wounds)
+ Kava Kava (helps with restlessness, sleeplessness and stress-related symptoms like muscle tension)

Draw yourself a bath and use something like a eucalyptus soak to get some much needed R&R. Eucalyptus is known to boost immunity and reduce anxiety and stress with its soothing benefits.

Try using a lavender essential oil instead of any sleep medication you take and rub it on your temples to help you relax before bedtime. It’s known to calm you and relieve stress, pain, and anxiety.

No tech in the bedroom. No TV, cell phones, iPads, etc. Your bedroom should be your place of rest and sanctuary. The moment you bring tech in there, your body doesn’t know if it should feel stimulated or at rest.

Try waking up naturally with the sun (it’s best for your body’s internal clock as your body responds well to light). Invest in sheets with a good thread count and good shades that help let the sunlight shine through.

Add a sleep sachet of lavender underneath your pillows as a natural way to help you relax and induce restful sleep!

So those are my 8 tips on how to get a better night of rest naturally.  Do you practice any of these already or will you be incorporating any of these tips into your sleep routine?  @ me in the comment section and let me know!

ICYMI:  You can catch my other post I wrote on self-love here.

x,

Jane

TELL US YOUR THOUGHTS!

• SANTA ROOS says:

I think your 8 tips for sleeping would help people who have maybe one bad night a week… or a month. I been suffering from severe insomnia, anxiety and stress for 25 years. I do not work anymore – I spend my days at home writing in my journal, playing with my three dogs and doing arts and crafts… what can be more relaxing? I’ve been to retreats in the mountains specifically for people with my problems, I’ve been for sleep therapy in a clinic, I’ve seen Buddhist healers and my husband even moved to another room in the house to make sure he doesn’t disturb me during the night. I’ve seen psychologists, psychiatrists, I’ve taken the strongest sleeping pills legally available. I go on regular trips (4-5 times a year) to our family beach-house (not alone because I am way to anxious to go anywhere alone) where you hardly ever see other people… days consist of sea, sun, wind and there is no TV and very little cell reception. All I do is take long walks with my dogs, listen to soothing music, paint, take photographs and stare at the sea. I am way past desperate, so I went shopping to buy everything on your list (I already had very good linen). The candle made me anxious because I kept thinking I was going to burn the house down – even though I put it where there was no flammable material close by… you never know! I haven’t taken a bath in years (I usually shower) so I tried that – being surrounded by so much warm water and the smothering smell of eucalyptus made me claustrophobic and anxious and I had to get out after 5 minutes. I could only find Chamomile and Lemon Balm tea, so I first had a cup of the Chamomile and later in the evening a cup of the Lemon Balm… I did not feel relaxed yet. I always switch my phone off at 20:00 — and watching tv is torture to me because all you see is violence, corruption, hate and an unsure future for the country – I am anxious enough without aggravating it by watching tv! I spent half the day writing in my journal, so I just wrote a short To-Do List… Feed the dogs, unlock the door for the cleaning lady, finish the hand-made journal that a friend ordered weeks ago… I put the Lavender oil on and the sachet in my pillow and went to bed at 23:00. Even though I love Lavender, the oil gave me a headache (maybe I put too much on), at least my pillow smelled great. I practiced my breathing exercises and repeated my mantra… and promised myself I would give this a fair chance. I would wait at least four hours to fall asleep… Before the sun was up the hand-made journal was finished, I made a whole stack of greeting cards and I wrote about 5 pages in my journal… and breakfast was ready when my husband woke up at 5:15. Oh yeah, I watched the sun come up… like I do every morning.

• Jane Park says:

Santa, that sounds so awful and I’m sorry to hear nothing worked out for you! Hoping you find something that works best for you and wishing you a life full of well-rested nights ahead! xx

• Hey, those lavender benefits are really amazing one. I am really not getting a enough sleep at night due to my work load and the pressures. Your remedies will definitely work for me. Thanks a lot for sharing!

• Jane Park says:

You should try meditating for 5 minutes every night before you go to bed, if you can. I’ve also found that yoga + sculpt classes help calm my mind too!

• Charge the phone outside the BR, got it.

• Katya says:

Sometimes you just could not have a good sleep for no reason at all. This is worth the read. Very informative and helpful.

StyleSprinter Blog by Katya Bychkova

• Lizzy Gibbs says:

Wonderful tips! How do you reak the habit of bringing tech in your room? I really hate it and cannot cope with that.

• Jane Park says:

This one was actually the hardest one for me because I have the most FOMO and love the late night Instagram scroll but I tried it out for one day a week, then 3 days a week then eventually every day and I now wake up every day with less stress/anxiety about what I missed on my phone (keep in mind that I naturally wake up at 6:30 anyway). So far, so good!

• Kathrin says:

I’ve been thinking about incorporating lavender into my night routine for a while! Thanks for the reminder and the rest of the tips!

Kathrin | Polar Bear Style

• karla says:

Great tips, I’ll stick with the sachet of lavender 💜 I remember I use to have one, but I ditch it when I move country. Last but not least I agree with no tech in tech room.

Cheers!

• Karin B says:

Härligt inlägg!!

• Amber says:

LOVE LOVVE LOVE these tips! I’ll definitely make sure to try these out because school is so overwhelming sometimes it gets me overly stressed. Thanks Chriselle <3

• Jenstar says:

Awesome tips thanks Dear Jane!

• These tips are very useful for a good sleep! Thank you!
    New post: 5 style ideas for a flawless springtime look

• Annie says:

Thanks so much for these tips – really need them! 🙂
    x

• Elizabeth says:

Thank you so much for sharing all of these great tips! 🙂 Sleep is so essential, yet we take it for granted almost everyday! Really love the idea of lighting a candle and drinking some calming tea! Such subtle yet easy ways to help you sleep better <3

XO, Elizabeth

• Jane Park says:

Even the idea of lighting a candle after work puts me in a better mood. Do whatever works for you, Elizabeth!

• Vivian says:

I have a little bunch of lavender in my room and it’s so soothing for sleep!

Vivian | LIVE IN LOVE
    IG | @viviyunn_

~

• Even when I do get a good amount of sleep, I often find that I still don’t feel well rested. Been thinking of investing in lavender oil since I already drink a lavender tea for de-stressing! Wish I could have candles or incense in my dorm room. Thanks so much Jane. x

• Jane Park says:

It’s so nice to rub a little on your ring fingers (and take a deep breath of the oil) before rubbing them onto your temples. It will help!

• mainou says:

Love all these tips! I’m always looking for ways to help sleep better 🙂
    -mainou

• Love the tips! Especially love the brain dump tip! So useful! I’ve shared some of my best tips for a better night’s sleep too!
    Maria Eugenia

• Jenny Yang says:

These were such great tips! I’ve recently gotten a diffuser and love putting it on at night with different scents!
    xx jen

• Val says:

Jane such good tips! A calming stretch before bed or a gentle workout makes me sleep like a baby 🙂

• Jamie says:

Great article! Anyone interested in this stuff should definitely check out the book Everyday Roots. It teaches you how to replace all the toxic chemicals in your life with healthy organic alternatives. Its completely changed my life and how I feel everyday! 🙂

Heres a great review of everday roots: http://reggiesreview.weebly.com/everyday-roots-review.html

Keep up the great content!

• Amanda says:

SO TRUE- My cell phone distracts me every night! Love the lavender oil too ❤️! Love it.

• Sara says:

The brain dump is SO crucial! Thank you for this reminder, Jane!!!! A true life saver <3

• Mireia says:

Absolutely love it!

Mireia from TGL

• Debbie says:

OMG IG DARK HOLE…. def been there! Thanks for the advice sister!

• Audj says:

Thanks for the tips, Jane 🙂 I definitely need to try a eucalyptus bath. Acupressure mats are heavenly for me!

• Alina says:

Great tips! The best one is to get rid of all tech in the bedroom – as soon as I started answering the emails from my phone when still in bed in the mornings, I noticed how much it affected my relax time in the evenings.

• Natali says:

Lavender oil, peppermint tea and reading a book before falling asleep is something that has helped me a lot to tune out and fall asleep easier than ever before.

• Marianne says:

For a couple of years now I have been having trouble falling a sleep and when I do fall asleep most of my night are restless.
    One problem for sure is that I answer e-mails in bed, I really should get better at leaving tech outside the bedroom.
    Excited to try out your tips 🙂 <3
    xx

• Jane Park says:

It honestly makes a world of a difference not bringing that “last email conversation” to bed before you sleep! Try it out for one day, then a few days, then gradually build up to every day (if you can)! -Jane

• […] So, whether it be from stress, anxiety, change, insomnia, the after 10 PM Instagram dark hole, or a mixture of it all, here are 8 sleeping tips I swear by to ensure I catch my zzz’s every night no matter how crazy the day gets. from The Chriselle Factorhttp://thechrisellefactor.com/2018/03/8-tips-help-sleep-better-real/ […]