LIFESTYLE

The Best Tips to Organize and Purge Your Home

It’s day two of 2018 so let’s start this year off s-t-r-o-n-g! (PS: if you haven’t read my 2018 intentions, click here!) I’ve been wanting purge and organize the house for the longest time but have been leaving it on the back burner. It’s a big commitment, but I know I’ll feel so much better after it’s all done. So with the help of my dream closet Pinterest board, some motivation, a few orders from Amazon and these tips– I’m finally going to make it happen. Keep scrolling to read the best tips to organize and purge your home. Clear space = clear mind.

photos via pinterest

1.  Start Small

Just like anything, it’s best to do things one step at a time. If you jump into something too big you’ll most likely just get overwhelmed and give up, so start small! So, start by cleaning out your purse or your nightstand! Organize your jewelry and sunglasses! Organize small easy spaces first to get the ball rolling.

2. Take the Time To Clean

Be sure to clean as you go, trust me you’ll thank yourself in the long run. So dust, throw out the trash and take the time clean the little things that you wouldn’t normally think to do, especially in the kitchen and bathroom. PS: magic erasers are the best!  I also like to light a scented candle and use a cleaning spray that smells nice like this Honest cleaner to put me in a happier mood about cleaning.

3. Out with the Old

When it comes to your wardrobe, I say it’s out with the old and in with the new. Cleaning out your closet is daunting, so make sure you have a great playlist going in the background and to go into it very objectively. Ask yourself if you REALLY need it, and if you haven’t worn something in longer than 6+ months, it might be time to say goodbye. Gather everything and donate it or sell it! While you’re at it, clean out your makeup bag too! Check out this post to see how long you should be keeping products after you’ve opened them!

4. Out of Sight Out of Mind

Having products visible means that you won’t forget about them. The phrase “out of sight out of mind” is so true! So clear acrylic storage like this for jewelry and this for your makeup means everything you use is front and center.

5. Label Label Label!

If you’re going to use storage boxes, which I highly recommend, label EVERYTHING. That way you know exactly where it is when you’re looking for it. It might be tedious, but you’ll thank yourself in the long run. If you’re taking down your holiday decorations, this tip totally applies too! Having things clearly labeled means you won’t be scrambling next year. So invest in a label maker like this one! (PS: masking tape and a sharpie work great too!)

photos via pinterest

6. Storage is Everything

Like I said above, storage boxes are great, but getting storage that seamlessly fits into your home is everything. I’m loving baskets for Chloe’s toys in her room and in her playroom. Having her know to clean up when she’s done helps me keep her room clean and helps her learn to clean up after herself!

7. Organize so That it Makes Sense to You

Do you like things organized seasonally? By color? By item type? Whichever makes your life easier and makes the most sense to you means that everything has a place. I like to organize my closet by season. That way, when I travel somewhere cold, I know where my coats are or if I go somewhere tropical, I know where all my bikinis are! This works for your clothes as well as your makeup!

8. Use Every Inch

When you’re organizing, be sure to take advantage of vertical height. If you can’t expand outwards, go up! Shelving above your closet and tall shelves are great. Don’t knock under bed storage either! Make your space work for you.

9. Double Duty

I love double duty beauty products, and when it comes my home, double duty is just as important! Ottomans that double as storage, baskets that work as decor and a place to stuff Chloe’s toys- double duty gives you the best of both worlds!

10. Be Accountable

So you’ve spent all this time cleaning and purging, don’t let it go to waste! Be accountable and don’t let the clutter build up. If you’re done with your jewelry, put it back where it’s supposed to go! Same goes for your shoes. It’ll be a few extra seconds of work but it’ll all be worth it!

Are you guys ready to purge? Let’s do this! If you guys have any tips or tricks to organize, please let them know in the comments!

sigxo_chriselle

• Muse Monday says:

[…] Purge your home in the New […]

• Thalyta says:

Wow, I read your post and I spend 4 days cleaning my closet. I give and drop away so many things… When I finished, I felt my soul clean and light (REALLY!). Now I have to face my vanity hahaha

Xoxo

• Great tips! I always clean as I go and get rid of as much as I can while dusting and polishing. I love to purge at the start of a new year, it brings in so much positive energy and abundance!

• Lacey says:

I take small steps and take one drawer or closet at a time and focus all my energy on it. I do this every weekend where I take on one task and eventually you will get it all done. It’s great to purge and donate. I like your tips cause they are easy to understand and accomplish.

• Ashley says:

Great tips! I definitely need to take some time to clean everything out. Gotta start the new year off fresh! 🙂

XOXO,
    Ashley | r e a s y u m e

• […] via: Apartment Therapy, Camille Styles, Lark & Linen, Chriselle Lim, […]

• Dawn says:

Love this post! It resonates with me. I agree with “Be Accountable” tip, it’s just so easy to create new clutter. But having to follow through with a new organization and be consistent in de-cluttering may be quite challenging. Happy New Year!

• […] is to de-clutter my bedroom and clean and organize my closet, and I will definitely be following Chriselle Lim’s tips while doing so. (Hopefully this […]

• LaNetra B. says:

It’s like you read my mind! I’ve been needing to do this for so long now. Thank you for the tips & encouagement! THIS POST ROCKS!!! That’s why you’re my favorite! 😉

• Meghan Burns says:

Obsessed with this post. I love cleaning out. So fun.
    xx, Meghan | http://tanlinesanddaisies.com/

• Prisilla says:

Perfect! I began ‘the purge’ before Christmas day & vow to be done before this Sunday. How wonderful I already use some of your tips except lighting candles. …I work with paper for arts & crafts…..fire hazard over here. Lol.
    Would you recommend a diffuser?? I might get to relaxed & not finish. XO

• Rania (@itsmystylediary_) says:

Great post and written in such an organized way that shows how great at organization you are. Thank you for these ideas that may sound basic but truly are IT, especially playing music in the background while cleaning because it makes all the difference and I don’t get bored. The best also is the first one and I will start applying it immediately. My worst mistake is doing it all at once that I cluttered every bit.of space and now don’t know where to start (I even blocked the door to my dressing room with clutter 🙁 so I will start small immediately.. you are absolutely right… thanks Chriselle xx

• Nikki says:

The last bit is the trickiest! After the cleaning is done, to put yourself into a habit of returning the things in their correct place.
    I’ve got to do some work there.

Love,
    Nikki

• Ashley T says:

Thank you thank you thank you for this post. Wanted to purge so badly and I didn’t know where to start. Thank you so much! 😘😘😘😘

• I love your closet so so much. I’m looking to revamp my room & closet in 2018!

XOXO //
    SINCERELY OPHELIA | NYC Petite Fashion Blogger

• Linh says:

How is “photos via Pinterest” and then link your own Pinterest board giving credits to the original creator?

• well in my opinion Out of Sight Out of Mind is one of the best here, because you really have to be into this thing otherwise no use of being here.
    xoxo
    Summer Smith

• Elena says:

You left out the link for the post of how long you should keep makeups for after you opened them?
    Great post btw! Going to start now!

• HERRENDEZVOUS says:

So many useful and great tips – it’s definitely time to reorganize the wardrobe!

X http://herrendezvous.com/

• Elizabeth says:

Yes, I always love a good purge for the New Year! I just cleaned my closet last night, and will get started on the vanity tomorrow! <3 🙂 Thank you so much for these great tips, Chriselle!

XO, Elizabeth

• Vivian says:

My jaw dropped when I saw your shoe collection! Amazing wardrobe Chriselle!

Vivian | LIVE IN LOVE
    IG | @viviyunn_

~

• Mimi says:

Great Tips. I especially like the point on letting go of old stuff. Some links on the post are not working though.

Mimi | teeeparty.com

• Jae says:

I love the first tip. It’s really important to start small so that you don’t end up overwhelming yourself at the end. BTW happy new year, Chriselle!

• Jennifer says:

Great tips! I’m in the middle of redecorating my room and this is so helpful. 🙂

• Tammy says:

Love this post! Love how you break it down so everything is manageable!
    💗 Tammy

• Natali says:

You always have the best tips and such an interesting posts! Much love Chriselle!

• BJ says:

I have to organize my workshop space. I don’t need to throw anything out, just organize where everything goes since I have accumulated a lot of stuff this past year. Your post has given me the inspiration to get going and JUST DO IT! I plan to allot one hour per day for a week to get it done and that should do it. Your post has given me a couple ideas of things I can do, so thank you.

• Ellen Boone says:

I am planning to do this for so long 🤗

• Keri says:

Oh my goodness, I definitely need to do this! I have so many things I can get rid of to start fresh for 2018. Thanks for the tips!

Enclothed Cognition

• Marianne says:

Such great and helpful tips to break down steps and actually achieve an organised home! 🙂 <3
    xx

• fatou says:

this is amazing tips! happy new year!
    xx

• Wendy says:

Good Morning!
    New Year – New Beginnings.
    It would be encouraging to see before and after shots of your purge & organize.

• I started right after Christmas with an ffice makeover and it is so inspiring to be able to sit down in this new space!

Anne|Linda, Libra, Loca

• Ray says:

These are all great tips! Thanks for sharing them.

• […] So with the help of my Dream Closet Pinterest board, some motivation and a few orders from Amazon and all these tips- I’m finally going to make it happen. from The Chriselle Factorhttp://thechrisellefactor.com/2018/01/best-tips-organize-purge-home/ […]