_VLP8043
Food, TRAVEL

How to Eat Healthy When You Travel

Hey, everyone, it’s Jana Williams! I loved reading your feedback on my last post and I’m so happy to be back again this week. I travel a lot for work, and it’s always a challenge to eat healthy.  I’m sure many of you feel the same way when traveling!  I’ve found that it is much easier for me to pack healthier foods prior to boarding, especially when I know how real my love for comfort food is. It’s important to prepare in advance prior to your travels so that you’re feeling your absolute best once you arrive your destination! So, I’ve gathered a list of items and helpful tips for the plane & hotel room that will help you curb your distractions to keep you on the healthy track!

DG1A8628 copy
DG1A8626 copy
DG1A0209
DG1A9627
EF7B7903

GRAB & GO
When I travel, I have a big bag of pre-packed food and snacks to have on the plane. They are perfect to bring to the airport and stuff into your carry-on or purse. I usually have:

1. Luna Bars, Fruits, Dried Fruits, Trail MixKind Bars.

2. Single Packet Protein Powders – these are great for on-the-go protein shakes! Bring your water blender bottle (like this one) on the plane, ask for water add the powder and you’re already being healthy on the plane!

3. Justin’s Almond Butter – these are single packaged almond butter squeeze packs that are so delicious to pair with bananas or by itself!

Did You Know:

You can bring meats, veggies, fresh fruit, & salad from home on the plane?   I’ve also found that it’s easier if you pre-dress your greens, instead of putting your dressing in a 3.4oz container. Make sure that your food is wrapped before bringing it to the airport!

Dehydration is so common while on the plane, that it’s important to drink water instead of reaching for wine!

UV Rays can still reach your skin while on the plane. I found this inside info from one of my bride’s who was a stewardess. Great tip! So make sure to put on that sunscreen

DG1A8629 copy DG1A8630 copy DG1A8632 copy DG1A8637 copy

Another tip I use all the time is to call my hotel ahead of time and ask if my room has a mini fridge. If it doesn’t, ask them to clean out the mini bar and use it as a fridge! That way you can take a trip to the market and stock up on healthy foods like:

Hard Boiled Eggs
Fruits & Vegetables
Ezekiel Bread- it’s so great for your body, and it has no flour and more healthy grains than most bread!
GURU Organic Energy Drink– this is great for that organic pick-me-up to start your day!

Here are some other tips and tricks I’ve picked up:

1. Make sure your lunch is your biggest meal. If you’re traveling for work, you may not be picking the restaurant for dinner so try to prepare yourself for a smaller dinner.

2. Ordering dinner can become quite distracting. I find it helpful to check the menu ahead of time & decide on proteins beforehand. I also like to eat a protein bar before dinner if I’m really hungry so that I don’t arrive at the dinner table starving.

4. Search for healthy spots at your destination on TravelAdvisory.com! I use this site when I travel all the time and I find the nearest healthy restaurants around to check out!

5. If you’re going to drink, stick to vodka soda instead of wine while you’re traveling. This will eliminate a ton of calories!

6. If you’re going to have a cheat day, do it on the last day.  That way, you’ve made it the whole time eating healthy and you can reward yourself with a treat at the end of your trip!

7. Remind yourself that traveling is about all the experiences not just food. Make some beautiful new memories and enjoy yourself.

FO9A0887
DG1A8971

Do you have any tips or tricks you use when you travel? Let me know down in the comments and I’ll see you next time!

Stay Inspired!
Jana

• Dalal says:

Great article, I love the mini fridge tip! It’s a challenge to always eat healthy whilst traveling. I also stopped putting too much pressure on my self to eat healthy, it surprisingly make me crave less junk food 😀

Dalal

• Al says:

Thank you for this post, I loved reading it!

I was already using some of your suggestions for a while and they really work!
    Although I do some things differently, for example I usually eat a very small lunch (liters of water and green tea help to keep the hunger at bay!) as often dinner is for business and won’t be less than 600 calories even if I make very healthy choices.

Checking menus online before going to the restaurant is a great tip and has literally saved my diet countless times: it helps to eliminate the surprise factor (which inevitably ends into cravings and sin :p) and allows you to prepare ahead.

Your “cheat day only at the end” suggestion is a great tip and will try it next time!

When I am traveling for holiday and not for work I tend to stick to two meals a day, usually breakfast and dinner and I keep movig all day long. I also share big portions (in some countries, like USA or parts of Asia, you really get served humongous quantities of food) with my boyfriend by removing half from my plate before I start eating. This way I can still enjoy the local food (which in many places is a highlight, you just can’t miss it) and control the calories.

Thanks again for sharing your tips!

xx Al

• Great post as travel is the biggest challenge to sticking to good eating habits! Love all your tips. I also love Lara bars-many flavors only contain dates and nuts, no added sugar!

XO, Julie & Courtney

• Elizabeth says:

Thank you so much for these super helpful tips! I definitely love eating, and I know it can actually work against me when I’m traveling :( Oftentimes, I feel bloated and it just doesn’t feel too good… Thank you so much for sharing all of your great tricks! Definitely going to be implementing some of these on my next travels!

XO, Elizabeth

• Mavis Guo says:

This post is amazingly helpful!!!! Thanks Chriselle!

• Ashley says:

Wonderful tips! :) These are all great things to keep in mind.

XOXO, Ashley

• Kathryn says:

These are great tips for someone who also travels alot! Also how cute is that restaurant on the left hand side of the post? Very pretty!

• Hi lovely,

Your blog post will be featured in Bloggers Issue Magazine.

Bloggersissue.com

• AryaChic says:

Those justin butter packer are my absolute fave. Pair with apple slices and they’re pure heaven!
    Just a tip, Costco makes bars very similar to the Kind bars and they’re cheaper :-)

• I’m an American expand in London and have now started traveling a lot for work and for myself within the continent. These are incredible tips! x

• ELisa says:

beautiful photos !!!

• Amy says:

Travelling with snacks is an absolute must! If I don’t have time to prepare anything before hand, I usually find somewhere like Pret a Manger to stock up on healthy goodies after the security checks ♥

Amy // Snippets of Amy

• HERRENDEZVOUS says:

The photos are so beautiful!

XX

• Leah says:

Love the Kind bars

• Vivian says:

The water instead of wine tip is so important! Stay hydrated girls~

Vivian | LIVE . IN . LOVE

~

• Jennifer says:

Great tips and tricks! I totally agree with #6 & #7. :)

• Thank you so much for these tips! I’ll be traveling a lot this year and I really needed this!

Daisy

• Keri says:

Kind bars are my favorite!
    Definitely going to incorporate these snacks into my daily life. I have 4 back-to-back classes and can never eat right!

Enclothed Cognition

• Titiyo says:

Loved these tips! Super helpful!

• Sheila Joy says:

This post was super helpful! I’m flying to Florida in March and want to avoid eating bad (and save some $) so I will definitely be prepping salads and fruits! x

• La Bijoux Bella | by mia says:

I can never get myself to eat healthy when I travel, especially back home to France, it’s so tempting to all these delicious baguette avec beurre frais, macaron. It’s really one of my weakeness, I hope to be better! :)
    A very great post as always.

❤LA BIJOUX BELLA❤ | BY MIA | A Creative Lifestyle Blog

• […] I travel a lot for work, and it’s always a challenge to eat healthy. from The Chriselle Factorhttp://thechrisellefactor.com/2017/02/eat-healthy-travel/ from Tumblr […]