Beauty, Skin Tips

You’re Layering Your Skincare All Wrong

One of my favorite parts of working in the beauty and fashion industry is that things are constantly evolving and that I’m always able to get to know what’s happening first. Between new ways to style, learning about a new beauty technique (like this cool Korean skincare trend!) or even about a new product,  there’s always something! When it comes to skincare, I consider myself kind of a nerd. I love reading about it and learning as much as I can! So when I learned that I was applying my skincare all wrong- I was totally shocked.

I get a lot of questions asking if the order of product application really matter and guess what? It actually does! The whole idea is to give your skin the full benefits of each of the products you apply to it. So then how do you effectively order each of your products? I’m glad you asked.

The rule to follow is to apply from thinnest to thickest in texture.

Step One: Cleanser

So day or night: start with a cleanser. I’ve been using this one here! It gives you a clean slate to work with and gets any gunk that’s built up out of your pores!

Step Two: Toner

Then, follow it with a toner (have you guys read my post about toner vs. essence yet?) to fully prep your skin. If you use an essence over toner- that works for this step as well!

Step Three: Acne Treatments

If you use any kind of spot treatments or acne treatments- this would be the step to add it in. I’ve been breaking out recently so I’ve been loving this Dr. Dennis Gross Blemish Treatment. It’s super light and it’s made with salicylic acid.

Step 4: Serums

After the cleanser and toner/essence- layer on your favorite serum. There are so many on the market right now, so be sure to do some research and find the one that works best for you. I’ve been using this one to really brighten up my face and give my skin a gorgeous glow!

Step 5: Eye Cream

Next up is an eye cream. The skin around your eyes is super delicate so it’s important to give it a lot of love! I don’t know about you guys but I can have some pretty big undereye bags when I wake up or when I travel, so I always reach for this gel or this cream to instantly bring my eyes back to life.

Step 6: Moisturizer or Face Oil

The best product to wrap up your skincare routine is with a moisturizer or a face oil. My go-to’s recently have been this moisturizer from La Mer and this face oil Linda Rodin. On days that I’m feeling particularly dry- this moisturizer is a life saver.

So have you guys been applying your skincare all wrong, too? Let me know down below and have a great day!

sigxo_chriselle

TELL US YOUR THOUGHTS!

• […] layering your skincare all wrong – The Chriselle […]

• Anna says:

I’ve read a lot that eye cream should be applied first (post toner), because otherwise if you get serum etc on that skin it forms a barrier and the eye cream won’t be able to do it’s job. Which makes sense to me.

• Katya says:

This is a really informative post to read. A complete guide already. It is obvious you know a lot about skincare cause you are a living statement yourself.

StyleSprinter Blog by Katya Bychkova

• […] evolving. Not too long ago I discovered that there’s a proper way to be layering your skincare (read my post about it here) and before that, I learned that anti-pollution drops are a […]

• Elizabeth says:

Thank you so much for sharing such a thorough guide! 🙂 I’ve known about the thinnest to thickest rule for awhile now, but I never knew that acne medication should be applied before serum! Thank you for the great tips as always, Chriselle! Definitely bookmarking this page!

XO, Elizabeth

• This was such a useful post! And the photos are gorgeous!! x

• This was suuuuuper helpful! I now know that I’ve been applying my acne treatmeant way to late along in my skincare routine! I’m definitely going to ry out the one you recommended. I don’t know what it is but all your skincare related posts and videos always put me is such a zen mode!

• Elle says:

You know what else we’ve been doing wrong?? Pooping. You sit on the toilet and let out a big turd like this article. MIND BLOWING!

• Janella says:

Well if you’re not a skincare enthusiast then this dite is not for you.
      Seriously what do you expect from a site that is all about skincare/healthy/beauty??? Politics? Problems in life where you could probably relate?? This isnt for you.

• Lola says:

I’ve been using my skin care b in proper order with the addition n of aunscreen.

• Nikki says:

Well, yes! This one’s an eye opener!

Love,
    Nikki

• Lecia says:

But what about SPF? I am always confused if I should put it on before or after all of the good stuff!

• Ade says:

Wow. An article as simple as this with “clickbait” title was in my newsfeed. It would be so much better if you write an article with more depth and authenticity.

• and I’ve been doing it wrong all along!

chevrons & éclairs

• Dea says:

If I use my spot treatment before anything I put on my full face, it will not stay on the breakout. I don’t get this one!

• Vivian says:

I always put eye cream on first ahhh, thanks for the advice!

Vivian | LIVE IN LOVE
    IG | @viviyunn_

~

• Lina says:

Can you at least say why the steps are in the order they are? This just seems rushed.

• Joy says:

What about spf and foundation?

• Talin says:

Ugh, even your blog has click bait titles. Yes this is all old as heck news! Anyone who is remotely into skincare knows to apply thin to thick. Don’t mean to be rude but you need some better content and live up to what you claim, that you have knowledge quicker than the rest. And please for the love of! Stop ig storying your daughter in the precious little time you spend with her. Just focus on her and not capturing content for your job.

• Kathleen says:

I already knew this because I’m smart. But shame on you for spreading lies! lol

Now, I have a small request. Could you please stop IG’ing yourself when you’re eating in your stories? Why the need? I don’t get it. Eating is a solemn act and to some it’s a privilege. Many in the world are starving… What’s next? Pooping on IG? There should be boundaries. I get the whole snapping of the food and recommending restaurants. But eating for the camera just seems rude. Just saying.

• Chiara Bantiling says:

Hi Chriselle,

I have discovered that I’ve been doing my skincare routine all wrong!! I was so glad I came across your website! Thank you for sharing all the informations!

I have a question, if there are still impurities left in my face what should I do before proceeding to the next step? Should I wash it again or use toner?

Thank you!!

PS: I super love all your outfits! xx

Chiara

• Shirley says:

Dont forget sun screen too at the end 🙂

• Chloe says:

So glad to know I’m doung it right, I was never quite sure!

Chloe x

• Jenny Yang says:

So glad I am applying my skincare products right! You were actually the one who helped me solve it out waaay back!
    xx Jen

• Christiane Lima says:

Hello Chriselle.I started doing some of the steps of the Korean routine in December 2017, after seeing a post from you and I already see the results on my skin, less pores and radiant skin.I’m Brazilian, but I love your posts and videos.Kisses.

• Alex T says:

Are you supposed to wait in between layers? Like five mins or something, or do you just do one after the other with no wait/soaking up time in between?

• Rania , insta @itsmystylediary_ says:

Good validation that I’ve been doing it right, well mostly .. thanks Chriselle .. only thing that’s a shocker is that I used face oil before serum (I actually picked it up from Tina @bagsnob) then finish with moisturizer .. what do you think of this order?

• Angela says:

Good to know I’m doing my skin care in the right order – thanks!

• Carmen says:

I believe you need a moisturizer to seal it all in…not just use a facial oil in place of it. but I’m no expert, always learning especially from Alicia Yoon 🙂

• Mireia says:

Absolutely love it!

Mireia from TGL

• Wendy Hughes says:

Please do a post using Drugstore brand skin care products.
    Some of us cannot afford the products you mention, yet want
    to have the best skin possible.

• Maria Elena says:

You may want to check the channel “Gothamista” on youtube. She explains skincare so well, and she has videos on affordable skincare that’s full of good ingredients.

• I’m doing all wrong for sure. Your post is very interesting but I have to admit I’m not a girl that apply to many products over my skin. I try to hydrate my face a lot but always with natural and organics products, less is more.

Today on my blog I share with you another fun photo shot with my baby
    I invite all to join us
    Kisses from Miami

• Marianne says:

I know I fail on applying serums – I once got a tester on the Dior glow booster serums and I absolutely loved it 🙂 <3
    xx

• […] from The Chriselle Factorhttp://thechrisellefactor.com/2018/04/youre-layering-skincare-wrong/ […]