Beauty, Skin Tips

Laser 101

I know, I know… the thought of lasers on your face doesn’t exactly sound appealing- but shake that image of a cartoon death-ray from your mind because lasers are a fantastic skincare treatment and can really do wonders on your skin.  Depending on the type of treatment you get, lasers can help minimize pores, reduce redness and even out your skin’s texture. Anytime I get a laser treatment done, my DMs are flooded with so many questions so to help debunk some of the misconceptions out there and answer any questions you guys have, I’m so excited to have interviewed Laila Elkeeb about this amazing treatment. So grab your #2 pencil and a notebook (or MacBook)- because Laser 101 is in session!

Q: What are some common myths about getting lasered?

A: One common myth that I get around me often is that if you use the same laser, you can get the same results. This simply isn’t true. Operating a laser is a skill that needs extensive knowledge and artistry in order to get the best possible results without causing damage or excessive pain.  The best comparison that I can use to describe what I mean are two photographers using the same camera—one is a 10 year professionally trained photographer and the other is an amateur who does it for a hobby.  Just because they own the same camera, does not mean they will achieve the same results.  So yes, getting laser can hurt and it can be scary but only in the wrong hands. Done right, getting laser should be pleasant and not scary at all.

Q: What are some facts about lasers?

A: A fun fact about the laser is that it operates on light! The way in which each laser is differentiated has a lot to do with the wavelengths of the light.  So not all lasers are created equal.

Q: What age range can use laser?

A: A person of any age can be treated with the appropriate laser.

Q: How often can you get lasered?

A: This question depends on the laser that is being used.  For the laser that I use, you can go quite frequently because there is no down time and I can adjust the laser so that it is very gentle. Of course how often you go depends on each person but with close monitoring, you can go as often as every day.

Q: What exactly does it do for your skin that products + facials can’t achieve?

A: What differentiates laser treatments from your average skin product and facial is that it has the ability to go much deeper, in some cases, as it is with the laser I use, down to the DNA level.  The light waves themselves, allow for collagen synthesis—something that regular products and facials can’t achieve on a deep level.

Q: How does it fix your skin’s texture?

A: This again is thanks to light! The light from the laser interacts with your skin and improves the texture.

Q: How does it shrink your pores?

A: At the risk of sounding redundant, I have to give credit to light once again. The light interacts with your skin in a fashion that cleans out your pores and causes them to constrict which minimizes the appearance of pores.

Q: How does it combat redness?

A: Laser combats redness by interacting with the pathological blood vessels that cause redness.

Q: Who should think about getting lasered?

A: Because the benefits of laser are so vast, really anyone should consider it. For people who want to remove excess hair, laser can remove that. For those who want to just have a deep clean of their face once a month, laser can achieve that.  For those who have dark spots or acne scars, laser can help reduce that. For those that want a quick freshen and glow for the red carpet, laser can do that.  If you have thought about laser, chances are you are the perfect candidate.

Q: Any other things you think people should know?

A: One thing that I highly advise is that you are never too young to start taking careful care of your skin, face, neck, and body. Most people tend to focus just on their face and neglect other parts of their body but aging happens on your entire body. If you want to age graciously and gracefully, don’t neglect other parts of your body!

Through my experiences with laser treatments, I can honestly say I’m so happy with how my skin feels and looks! And take it from me- it’s not nearly as scary as it sounds. If anything, it should be called a ‘light’ treatment- because as Laila said, it’s really all about light!

Have you guys ever done a laser treatment? Would you ever want one? Let me know in the comments below and have a great day!

sigxo_chriselle

TELL US YOUR THOUGHTS!

• John says:

Don’t be afraid to turn your face off with your parents. Your dad really hacked your mother and he jailed you for delivery. http://www.geolidar.ru/white-ferragamo-belt

• Very nice post! That’s a great website I have visited, thank you for your essentials words.

• Kanyi says:

I’ve recently been having excessive pimples. I’m thinking of having laser treatment. Your article helped with all the questions i’ve been pondering on.

• Stella says:

I will definitely try a laser therapy for my face as soon as possible! Minimizing pores sounds dreamy! 🙂
    Thanks for sharing with us all this information Chriselle!
    xoxo
    Stella

• Great treatment! I never tried before. Thanks for telling us about it more.
    New outfit post: Casual basics

• Andrea Vallej says:

omg, I would love to try laser! Does anyone have any recommendations for the Chicago area?

Thanks for this post Chriselle!

xo. Andrea// http://www.adorechicago.com

• Lori says:

I have had amazing results with ULTHERAPY and will continue to use it. Would love to know which laser treatments you like best and for what reason. Even though we all have different issues and skin types, I love finding out about treatments I didn’t realize were available! I would also love to know how to get that gorgeous robe you were wearing! Thanks for all your hard work.

• I have done at hoe laser hair removal, but that is about it.

Anne – Linda, Libra, Loca

• Audrey says:

My questions to you Chriselle are… What kind of laser did u do? Because there sooo many different kinds of laser treatments. And how often do u laser?

• Audrey says:

I tried one laser session when I realised i was having comedone pimples more frequently than usual. I ALWAYS had good skin only a few small white head pimples now and then. I was hoping starting on laser will clear my skin. But to my horror, i started breaking out and it was the worse of my life! It lasted for 4 mths no improvement until I saw a derm and was told to start taking this oral pill roaccutane to stop the pimples. Im on it now for about 3 weeks my skin has dramatically cleared up by im skeptical to be on the pill for 4mths which I was told to do so to keep the pimples out for good. Any advice? I always wanted to start doing laser for all its benefits, anti aging, even skin tone, radiance, etc. But now I’m too scared! I don’t even know what kind of laser to do anymore 🙁

• Elizabeth says:

Thank you for sharing your experiences! 🙂 I’ve alway thought about getting laser treatment, but it does sound a little scary! Thanks for helping to debunk so many myths today, Chriselle!

XO, Elizabeth

• Nikki says:

I’ve not gotten one done, ever. But this post really helped clear a lot of my doubts!
    Thanks, Chriselle!

Love,
    Nikki

• Randi says:

I started lasers at 29 with a Fraxel once a year and maintenance laser like a BBL or IPL every 3-4 months. Main reason was for fine lines and sun damage. I’m a high risk for skin cancer and this is a preventive measure as well as just improving the overall quality of my skin. After five years, when we analyze my before and after photos, my skin has significantly improved and is actually younger and healthier than 5 years ago. Thank you for bringing this topic up. I think more people should take advantage of the benefits of lasers

• Linda says:

You didn’t mention what type of lazer you had or how often
    you have them or how much to expect to set one back

• Vivian says:

I’ve always been so scared of laser treatments! I think I need to read up about it a bit more, but thanks for sharing your experience~~

Vivian | LIVE IN LOVE
    IG | @viviyunn_

~

• Teresa says:

Laser treatment is much more advanced in Asia, and every one of the lasers experts will tell you that it is not safe to do laser everyday! They advise you to let your skin at least recover for two weeks….. she sounds so u professional.

• Tammy says:

I started lasers in my early 30’s, now in my late 40’s my skin is still looks great! Skin tone is even and I know it’s due to the years of targeted laser and peel treatments! Your skin is beautiful Chriselle!
    xx-Tammy

• Courtney says:

I did a series of laser hair removal on my underarms. One of the best beauty treatments I’ve had – quick and effective!

• Robin says:

I would love to try because so am having skin problems. The issue is the expense.

• Tabitha says:

Great post! I thought about laser for my skin but due money it’s not an option. I’m curious what wavelength that light you used is?

Tabitha

• ah I got it done on my face years ago and love the results… I’m indian so you know what that means! haha

chevrons & éclairs

• Maddie says:

I was really looking for the question regarding skin color and the type of laser for this. Although you fall under medium light skin you can still hyper pigment. So my question is which laser did you actually get. Thx.

• Shloka says:

I actually do laser on my body and on my face and it’s amazing! I find that it works wonders and it’s totally changed my life!

x
    Shloka

• Natali says:

Love discovering about the unknown to me beauty treatments and products, your blog is a great source for that!

• Mireia says:

Absolutely love it!

Mireia from TGL

• Jae says:

Another helpful post, Chriselle! And it’s so true people tend to forget their necks and bodies but those body parts are equally important.
    Jae

• […] So to help debunk some of the misconceptions, and answer any questions you guys have, I’m so excited to have interviewed Laila Elkeeb about this amazing treatment. So grab your #2 pencil and a notebook- because Laser 101 is in session! from The Chriselle Factorhttp://thechrisellefactor.com/2018/02/laser-101/ […]