Beauty, Skin Tips

10 Skincare Mistakes You’re Probably Making

Hey everyone, it’s Hannah! I’m back on the blog today (if you missed my last couple of posts, check them out here and here) to talk about the 10 skincare mistakes you’re probably making. I’ve learned SO much from Chriselle in the past few years, and I’ve also learned what NOT to do- especially when it comes to my skin!

Now, my skin isn’t nearly as ~flawless~ as Chriselle’s, but I’m working on it! I’m definitely guilty of most of these skincare offenses, but ever since I cleaned up my act, my skin has improved leaps and bounds. The best part is, these mistakes are easy to fix! Something as simple as taking your makeup off at the end of the day (a no-brainer, I know, but still!) or having a night moisturizer vs. a day moisturizer can really make all the difference!

Mistake No. 1: Not Cleaning Your Phone

If you’re like me, you have your phone glued to you at all times. And even if you wash your hands a million times a day, your phone screen still picks up tons of bacteria. And then you make a phone call and all of that grossness goes right on to your face… It took a minute to get into the habit, but try to wipe your phone down every day with a disinfecting wipe, or even a makeup wipe! Your skin will thank you. Also, try to wash your pillowcases as often as possible!

Mistake No. 2: Sleeping with Makeup On

At this point, there really is no excuse for forgetting to take off your makeup. But I get it, s#*t happens. I use the Glossier Milk Jelly Cleanser to get my makeup off, but a great trick a friend of mine uses is to keep some makeup remover wipes (like these) next to your bed! That way you see it right before you go to bed so you don’t forget, or if you had a little too much ~fun after a night out, the makeup wipes are right there waiting for you!

Mistake No. 3: Only Moisturizing at Night

High-school me was SO guilty of this. I would only moisturize my skin at night and not in the morning after I washed my face. I thought that too much moisture would mess up my makeup and make my face oily. Boy, was I wrong. Give yourself a few minutes to let the moisturizer set in before starting your makeup, and you’ll notice a difference I promise. PS: the Kate Somerville Goat Milk moisturizer is incredible!

Mistake No. 4: Only Wearing Sunscreen at the Beach

You need to wear sunscreen every day no matter what. Okay? Okay. I’m not the best at remembering to do this, but nobody’s perfect. I alternate between the Glossier Invisible Shield and this one by Juice Beauty. Just one itty bitty step before you put on your makeup can save your skin down the road. And don’t just put it on your face either! Don’t forget your neck, chest, and shoulders, too!

Mistake No. 5: Using the Same Moisturizer for Day and Night

Okay, so you use moisturizer day and night, YAY! But is your daily moisturizer too much for the daytime? Too little moisture for overnight? Sometimes moisturizers have SPF built in, which is great for day, but not so great for overnight. Try using something with extra moisture at night, like this, and leaving the built-in SPF for daytime!

Mistake No. 6: Never Exfoliating or Exfoliating Too Much

High-school Hannah exfoliated every night, and college Hannah never exfoliated at all. Both were bad. Thanks to what we at the office call ‘The Chriselle Effect,’ I started using a gentle exfoliator about once a week and I was amazed at how quickly my skin changed. It was so much softer, and I didn’t break out as much! I exfoliate every Sunday, as kind of a mini-spa treatment for myself before the week starts.

Mistake No. 7: Changing Products Too Quickly

I made this mistake this past summer and let me tell you, my complexion paid for it. I was so excited for a new cleanser and moisturizer that I picked up that I changed my skincare routine overnight- ignoring the warnings from my best friend, mom and the internet. I broke out SO BAD. It’s taken me months to get my skin back to normal and I swore to myself I’d never make this mistake ever again. If you’re going to incorporate a new product into your routine, ease it in. Similarly, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Mistake No. 8: Constantly Touching Your Face

I think I was guilty of this, like, ten minutes ago. I do it subconsciously, but I’m trying to stop! Get your friends or coworkers to call you out when they spot you touching your face and don’t pick at your blemishes in the mirror! Also, don’t pop your pimples. Just don’t.

Mistake No. 9: Not Drinking Enough Water

I get distracted pretty easily, so it’s not unlike me to completely forget to drink water. I have to make a conscious effort to have a bottle or cup of water by me at all times, especially during long days at work! I’m also trying to get in the habit of drinking a glass of water before I have my coffee in the morning.

Mistake No. 10: Forgetting to Wash Your Makeup Brushes

I try to remember to wash my makeup brushes every two weeks or so with baby shampoo. Makeup brushes hold on to a lot of things besides your makeup, like bacteria and dead skin cells. And if you use a beauty blender- clean that even more often!

So are you guys guilty of some of these mistakes too? Let me know in the comments below and be sure to keep an eye out for my next post!

xHannah

• It is amazing. Thanks for sharing these amazing tips.

• Karlina Wilkinson says:

What eyeshadow are you using in these pictures? I love it!

• chichi says:

thank you for all the suggestions, i should remember to clean my phone!

• Pam says:

I’m 67 and have always had good skin (like my dad’s was.) Never spent money and time on it. I had a spa facial for the first time this year and fell in love with the experience. No doubt that an old dog learns new tricks anytime in life. I have a good routine now and can testify about healthy skin glow and joy of personal care.

• Nikki says:

I’m so disciplined with my beauty schedule, it’s great to see you’re getting serious too! I agree that these are minor things it is definitely the little things that need to be taken care of day in and day out!

Love,
    Nikki

• Julia Louise says:

Just thank you for this post!

• Jihyun Lee says:

as i’m getting older, i’m truly realizing the importance of apply sunscreen/SPF every. single. day!!!!

these were awesome tips, thank you!! 😀 😀 esp during the winter season, my skin gets/feels extra day. I need to be more intentional about drinking more water throughout the day and applying moisturizer, day and night

Love you guys!!! Please post more skincare tips 🙂

• I am huge on applying SPF everyday! The sun does such awful things to your skin.
    X
    Samantha

• nat says:

great tips!!
    I need to clean my phone and start using different day and night moisturisers
    xx

• […] I’ve learned SO much from Chriselle in the past few years, and I’ve also learned what NOT to do- especially when it comes to my skin! Source link […]

• Jennifer says:

Great tips! Tip #1 is the only tip that I always forget about haha. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

• Elizabeth says:

Yes, I’m definitely guilty of a few of these, like not washing my makeup brushes often enough, and of course, not cleaning my phone! Thank you so much for sharing all of these great pointers, Hannah! Definitely going to bookmark this and keep it mind! 🙂

XO, Elizabeth

• Diana says:

I’m so bad at remembering to wipe down my phone but it’s definitely a must to keep the bacteria away. Thanks for the reminder!

Diana | http://www.thechicdiary.com

• nia nastiti says:

Great tips, well noted.

• Vivian says:

oh gosh, I always forget how much bacteria my phone harbours!

Vivian | LIVE IN LOVE
    IG | @viviyunn_

~

• alexia says:

Your skin looks pretty clear and flawless to me. I definitely saw a change in my skin when I changed up my overall diet and started drinking more water. I have the hardest time washing my face with cleanser so I keep it in the shower so I can’t forget. xx
    // journey to wellness
    born bred BE – a blog by Alexia

• Angela says:

You just reminded me that I haven’t cleaned my phone in a while. I used to get horrible lumpy acne along my cheekbones in highschool until I realized my dirty phone was the culprit!

Blush & Pearls by Angela

• Shloka says:

Oh my god Hannah – I changed one thing in my routine overnight and Ive had the most horrible reaction ever… I guess I feel better I’m not the only one! I also do need to clean my phone more!

x
    Shloka

• I am always afraid that using a wipe on my phone will make the screen dull over time.

Anne – Linda, Libra, Loca

• […] I’ve learned SO much from Chriselle in the past few years, and I’ve also learned what NOT to do- especially when it comes to my skin! from The Chriselle Factorhttp://thechrisellefactor.com/2017/11/10-skincare-mistakes-youre-probably-making/ […]

• Carey says:

I’m definitely guilty of using the same moisturizer for day and night… Guess I need to switch it up!

xo, Carey

• I am still struggling with applying SPF at all times, as I tend to forget about it, but I am working on it! I am all good on the other fronts, though! 👐

xx