LIFESTYLE

How I Turned My Internship Into a Job

Hey, everyone! I’m Hannah! You might recognize me from that video where Chriselle styled me (see it here) or from occasionally popping up on Chriselle’s IG (like here and here)! I’m the Editorial Editor for The Chriselle Factor, so basically, I take care of everything on the backend of the blog to make sure you get to see all the amazing content the #CINCteam works so hard to bring you!

A few years ago, I started working at The Chriselle Factor as an intern and through blood (seriously, ask me about the pink IKEA vase) sweat, tears, hard work and lots of coffee, I turned my internship into a part-time job and then eventually into my full-time job. So you can only imagine how excited I was when Chriselle asked me to start contributing to the blog! For my first post, I wanted to talk to you guys about something very near and dear to my heart: how I turned my internship into my full-time job. Keep scrolling to read my tips!

1. Grin and Bear It

No matter where you end up interning, you’re going to have to do things that you might not want to do. Throw out the trash, steam clothes, pick up lunch, coffee runs, refill parking meters, etc. My advice? Grin and bare it. It’s not glamorous, but if you can do menial tasks with a million dollar smile, people will notice.

2. Speak Up

At The Chriselle Factor, I was lucky enough to be a part of a small team, so I was able to sit in on and contribute to some content meetings. Being able to have a creative voice and not just be ‘the intern’ was a great way for everyone to get to know me and to prove what I could do. If you’re interning somewhere where that’s not possible, still be sure to make yourself known! It’s so easy to fall through the cracks. Try to get to know and network with as many people as possible!

3. Put in 110%

If you can see yourself working there someday, prove that you want it. That’s not to say that you shouldn’t give it your all no matter where you are, but you know what I mean. Get there on time (or early), stay a little later, and if you know something needs to be done do it before you’re asked. In the same breath, I’ve had internships that I haven’t loved and that’s okay too, just so long as you’re learning.

4. Just Ask

Again, I was lucky enough to be a part of a small team, so when it came time to have the “job talk” I literally asked Laura in the elevator! But if you know it’s time, just ask. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I did, and it was the best decision I ever made. If the company you’re interning at isn’t hiring at the time, don’t get discouraged! Just like relationships, there’s no such thing as the right person at the wrong time. The right job is still out there; you just haven’t found it yet!

I’ve been working full-time at The Chriselle Factor for over a year now and every day I’m thankful to be doing something I love with the people I love. And now even more excited to be able to write for you all! So be sure to keep your eyes peeled for my next post!

x Hannah

• […] job. When asked how she managed to do that, she said that she spoke up at content meetings and had creative ideas to share. She made sure to not be ‘just an intern’ and that everybody knew who she was and what she […]

• Michelle says:

Nothing ventured nothing gained is right! Good job Hannah, you do a great job contributing to this blog! Thanks for all of the tips =)

• Ria says:

Hi Hannah, just want to thank you for sharing this and making such valid points! As someone that has been following The Chriselle Factor for so long, it’s truly amazing how everyone in the team has come together to make it what it is right now. As a newbie in the blogging world, the content produced by you and the team is simply inspiring and intriguing! More power to you wonderful people! ❤️ xx

• Great post! Just goes to show that hard work and determination can get you your aspirations and dreams!

• Some die hard truths here.
    I just left a design studio where I interning. I left because the lady I worked directly with was a nightmare.
    I cried almost everyday I went to work.
    I just had to leave because I started to doubt myself and future in fashion.
    No regrets….

xx
    Priscillia

• Phuong says:

What did you study? And how did you get that internship? Greetings, Phuong X

• Marie says:

Great article! Very inspiring! Keep on the great work ❤❤❤

• Kathy says:

Such a lucky intern! Congrats on the fabulous new job!

• Kay Nguyen says:

Love this blog! Thanks for sharing <3

• Ashley says:

So glad that things worked out for you! Thanks for being an inspiration.

XOXO, Ashley

• Miki says:

Honestly, I just read this because I met you, Hanna at the Banana Republic in Santa Monica last year when you were there with Chriselle for an in-store promo meet and greet. I really loved how kind, outgoing and sweet you were. I honestly left later thinking I should’ve traded info with you just to hang out for coffee since I was so new to LA not knowing anyone. I mean what better way to meet friends over things you enjoy right?!

Anyways, you seemed truly genuine and passionate about your work at The Chriselle Factor. So lovely to see that that you made it a full time job! When I see instastories, I notice the team working hard in the back.

While I am in no need of an internship, I have done a few myself and think it’s great advice and well written. I think a lot of people can gain from this advice!

Xo,
    Miki

• Savannah says:

This is such a nice post to read! Congrats on landing this job, I am sure it is a lot of fun but also a lot of work. I would love to do something similar x http://www.justsavxnnah.com

• How awesome. Congratulations sweetheart~ 🙂 I’m super happy for you! Keep up the good work!

XOXO //
    SINCERELY OPHELIA | NYC Petite Fashion Blogger

• Kyle says:

Gorgeous. This post is such a great idea and I’m really looking forward to hearing more from Hannah! I wish her nothing but more success in the future.

• Brooke Alexa says:

It’s so fun to get to know the members of the CINC team. It seems like such a great company culture! I’m curious, what kind of educational path did you take? I’m currently a business student majoring in marketing, and I sometimes have trouble finding information on fashion-focused business careers. Thanks for sharing!

xo,
    Brooke

• Linda says:

Wow, great tips! They’re going to be so helpful for me since I’m currently working at an internship where I see myself working full time. Thanks so much for sharing, Hannah.

Linda

• Akshaya says:

Great first post Hannah! You’re so stunning 🙂

Akshaya

• Avisha says:

Love your dedication

• Such great tips for a great post idea! I had the same experience of turning an internship into a job. So lovely to hear that you were part of the mix and got to contribute to decision making! x

• Elizabeth says:

Loved this post, Hannah! 🙂 Turning internships into an actual is difficult, but it’s not impossible, and all of your advice on how to do so is much-appreciate! <3

XO, Elizabeth

• Nolan says:

Wow! Love this so much!!!

• Nicolette says:

This is serious life goals, great internship turned great job. I wish I had put myself out there and gotten an internship in college, before the student loan repayments kicked in. Now I’ll have to wait til I move back to a city in the US to intern and work full-time… Thank you for the advice, I’ll definitely use it whenever I get my first internship!

• Christopher says:

Great tips and really interesting post! Would love to read more of these kind of postings. 🙂

– Christopher

• Jennifer says:

Great tips! This really helped a lot and it makes me want to work harder to get to my future career. 🙂

• Hannah Pickering says:

So much of job opportunities involve the intern (in this context) being proactive, engaging and taking initiative. Great tips, Hannah!

• Monika says:

Thank you for the tips Hannah! very helpful 🙂

• […] my internship into my full-time job. Keep scrolling to read my tips! from The Chriselle Factorhttp://thechrisellefactor.com/2017/05/how-i-turned-my-internship-into-a-job/ from Tumblr […]

• La Bijoux Bella | by mia says:

Very wonderful tips Hannah. You are working for one of the greatest heart and true to every touch of a boss that Mademoiselle Chriselle is. I have been reading her blog for a long time now and definitely welcomeed the new ideas and glamourous little touches in the blog. It does takes a great team to build up something special … and special indeed! 🙂
    Keep being great at what you do!
    Love ❤️ love this post!