If you wear makeup, you probably use makeup brushes. There’s a brush for everything and they come in all shapes, sizes, colors and price ranges! But no matter what brushes you use, there’s one common factor: you need to CLEAN THEM. I struggle with this too, don’t worry. Ideally, you should clean your brushes as often as you use them. Just thinking about the bacteria and germs that sit on your brushes and then get spread all over your face makes me shiver. So here’s how to clean your makeup brushes properly:
When you dry your makeup brushes, make sure the bristles are facing down to avoid attracting bacteria!
You can always buy a specific makeup brush cleaner like this one, but if you’re in a pinch and trying to save a few extra dollars, enter my savior: baby shampoo! You can pick it up at almost every drug store, and this gentle soap is perfect for cleaning all the makeup of your brushes.
1. Wet your brushes under warm water. Make sure you always keep your brushes facing downward, to avoid the water loosening the glue keeping the bristles in place!
2. Squeeze a quarter-sized amount of baby shampoo in the palm of your hand.
3. Gently swirl the brush around for about 30 or so seconds. You can see the makeup melting off almost instantly!
4. Wash off the soap from the brushes under warm for around 30 seconds.
5. Repeat the process until your brush is clean!
When it comes time to dry your brushes, try to keep them facing down as much as possible. Pat them dry with a paper towel, then lay them flat to dry overnight! Make sure to dry your brush sideways or brush part down because you want the water to completely dry or it will attract bacteria. You can buy a drying rack specifically for your brushes, but it’s up to you!
When was the last time you cleaned your makeup brushes? Let me know in the comments below! Have a great Tuesday everyone!