5 Steps to Dress Down a Button Up

Call it whatever you want: button up or a button down but it’s truly one of the most versatile pieces you can have in your wardrobe! If you have one in your closet, you probably only wear it on certain occasions where you need to dress up a little bit. And while that’s an instant and easy way to look super chic, a button up is also the perfect top for a casual look! Keep scrolling to discover my 5 steps to dress down a button up!

Step One: The Jeans

Just like a button down, jeans are super versatile. Depending on the wash and the shape- you can truly mold them to be anything you need! These jeans here are super comfortable and stretchy, and they’re the perfect balance between light wash and dark wash.

Step Two: The Accessories

A killer hat, like this one here, is a fun touch to add to any outfit. I love how it gives this outfit a preppy feel while still being approachable and casual. For my bag, I grabbed this one by The Row. I’m sure you’ve seen me wear it a thousand times at this point, but do you blame me?

Step Three: The Boots

Shoes make or break an outfit. These boots, check them out here, are one of my favorite purchases in the last few months! Not only are they super affordable, but they’re super comfortable too (especially considering that I wore them on sightseeing day in London)!

Step Four: The Jewelry

The jewelry I’m loving at the moment are all statement pieces. These necklaces (check out a similar necklace here!) have been on repeat for me lately. I love how they look when layered and also on their own. These earrings (check out a similar pair here) add such a cool geometric touch!

Step Five: The Coat

I’ve had this coat for a while (check out a similar option here) and I love how it looks with this outfit! It adds a bit of structure and perfectly ties everything together- and you guys know how much I’m loving oversized blazers for this season!

What’s your styling trick to dressing down a button up? Let me know in the comments below!How do you guys dress down a button up? Let me know in the comments below!

• BrookeBiggs says:

I really like the blog about the dressing etiquette and the button up dressing that how to button them. I am a big shopaholic and check all the online stores which can provide stylish clothes and dresses.

• Love this look! So pretty!

• chichi says:

The hat is a great add, love the look!

• sirin isik says:

I really like this white shirt such a good details on it!

• Andrea says:

Love the peacoat and the pop of gold earrings!

– Andrea //

• Ashley says:

Great tips! Love the coat!

Ashley | r e a s y u m e

• I’d say for me it would have to be wearing the button-down with rugged denims! The classic old way!

• pinning this outfit! Also, I’m totally a 30 second walk away from where these photos were taken 🙂 x

• It looks great! I love the whole look. Classy still!

XOXO //
    SINCERELY OPHELIA | NYC Petite Fashion Blogger

• Diana says:

Love how you styled this button-down, especially with the cap!

Diana |

• Vivian says:

Loving this hat with your outfit!

Vivian | LIVE IN LOVE
    IG | @viviyunn_

• Elizabeth says:

Thanks for these great tips! <3 I typically only wear button ups to work, when I want to look more polished, but I agree that it's such a versatile piece and can definitely be dressed down too 🙂 Thanks for sharing all of these great ways to dress down a button up, Chriselle!

XO, Elizabeth

• Elizabeth says:

Girl, those earrings are fabulous! They’re the perfect statement pieces for that outfit. I’m trying to just focus on one accessory to ramp up my outfits, and your earrings are the perfect inspiration.

• I spent a long time not liking button-downs but over the last couple of years I’ve really enjoyed them! I dress them down for work all the time and they just feel right.

The look you styled in this post is gorgeous and I’m going to give it a try 🙂

• Shloka says:

What a gorgeous way to dress a button down! It’s just a bit too cold in London right now but I can’t wait to try this look out super soon!

• Jae says:

Classic! Love this entire outfit. Love a good white shirt + denim look.

• juliezeneth says:

this is something i would totally wear! love it
    much love

• Mina says:

I love this look! I like to roll my sleeves up about a quarter of the way, leave some of the top buttons undone like you, I tuck it only in the front and leave the rest out, and I normally pair it with distressed jeans and flats.

• Natali says:

You are looking absolutely impressive and so stylish in this Parisienne like outfit. 🙂 Your cap and earrings are so cool!

• Jada says:

Obsessed with this look! You are right the button down is the most versatile piece in the wardrobe!

• Tabitha says:

Lovely look! Everything looks so cohesive and perfect. I’m more on the simple side and wear button ups as is rather than layer.

• Looks so chic! Love the white shirt and how you styled it! Happy New Year, Chriselle!
    New post: 5 benefits of silk pillowcases to enhance your beauty

• […] Keep scrolling to discover my 5 steps to dress down a button up! from The Chriselle Factor […]