Motherhood 2 years ago

My Birth Story

It’s been 2.5 weeks since I have given birth and to say it all happened so fast is an understatement.

It was definitely a whirlwind and I want to share my experience with you guys before I forget it all- mommy brain is a real thing, guys!

On Thursday, September 27th, Allen and & I went out for a nice lunch at the Terranea Resort. The weather was so nice that day that we decided to take a little stroll around the property and climb a few flights of stairs. I was SO over my pregnancy at this point that I had been trying to do whatever it would take to induce my labor! That would include eating lots of spicy food and walking up and down flights of stairs. When we got back home from our nice little lunch I was exhausted and decided to take an hour nap.

When I woke up I felt extremely nauseous to the point where I wanted to throw up. I found that really strange because the last time I was nauseous was in my first trimester. I decided to Google to see if nausea was by any chance linked to labor… and low & behold… it was! The first thing I read was “indigestion, nausea, or vomiting are common a day or so before labor begins.”

I immediately told Allen that I think I’ll be going into labor that night or the next day! We started packing our hospital bag… yes, we were super last minute and unprepared! Then I relaxed and Allen started giving me a foot massage… we looked up where all the acupressure points were on YouTube as we heard that also helps induce labor. Within an hour, I felt my very first contraction- around 7:30 pm.

I immediately opened up the app called FULL TERM which times your contractions. Pretty much, when you are consistently getting a contraction every 5 minutes that last for a minute long. you are in active labor.  Meaning? You’re ready to go to the hospital.

When I had Chloe, my contractions were pretty sporadic and not consistent at all so I waited around for about 7 hours before going to the hospital. This time my contractions escalated so quickly. It felt like they went from 0-100 within 30 mins. I was in active labor within 30 minutes and my contractions were wayyyyyy too painful to even walk! So much so that Allen had to carry me to the car! We started driving to the hospital at around 8:30 pm. Once we got to the hospital they quickly saw how much pain I was in so they immediately checked how dilated I was… and to my surprise, I was already at 8cm!! (They measure it by how open your cervix is between 0-10 cm.)

At that point, it was too late to even do any paperwork but I begged them to give me a bit of epidural if possible since I was in so much pain. They called the anesthesiologist to quickly give me the epidural before it was too late. And once he was done with the process, the nurses came by and checked me once again and they said I was already at a 10cm! They asked me if I wanted to start pushing and I said “YES!”

Keep in mind my parents were driving down from the Bay Area, my doula and my best friend were all on their way but when I had Chloe, I was in labor for 12 hours and everyone was able to make it in time… but this time around it was quite different. Everything was happening so fast… I couldn’t even believe that although I was waiting for the baby to come out, it felt like it was just like that it was already time to push! We had nobody there… it was just Allen and myself.

Allen really stepped up this time and took the lead and was really there for me. He held my hand, prayed for me out loud, and even helped me push! So yes…. he saw the wholllllle birthing process! I was almost sure he wasn’t going to look down there, but as I was pushing he totally saw everything! He said it was “fascinating” and “exciting”.

Anyway – short story long… I pushed Colette out in just 10 minutes! Can you believe that? I thought I had it good with being able to push Chloe out in 20 minutes! Strangely enough, I LOVED the pushing part… I feel like because I worked out all throughout my pregnancy, I was able to really engage with my core and my body to activate the right muscles to push her out in such a short time.

To be honest… when I held Colette in my arms for the first time I felt this overwhelming sense of excitement and confidence that I didn’t have when I had Chloe. Don’t get me wrong I was extremely excited to meet Chloe when she was born, but I had no idea what I was doing as a first time mom so I was quite fearful. Whereas with Colette, the minute she was in my arms she latched onto my nipple right away.

Although none of my family and friends were able to make it in time, I have to admit that it was actually quite nice sharing such an intimate moment with just Allen. We were able to share a few laughs and tears together through the process but what I will cherish forever were the quiet moments. The moment that he held my hand and said a prayer before pushing and the moment when Colette was born and we were able to just gaze at her in awe.

I’m still on a high and in shock of how fast it all happened! From my first contraction to holding Colette in my arms, the entire process took 3 hours! Colette was born on September 27th at 11:35 pm.

I’m so thankful that I had a safe and speedy delivery, and even happier now that we’ve been able to bring Colette home! I’ll be giving you an update of how life has been and the transition to having two girls now very soon.

I’m still recovering at home but getting stronger every single day! I also wanted to thank all of you for your continued support, thoughts, comments, and messages… I’m so lucky I can share these intimate moments with my extended (online) family!



Photography by Karla Ticas