Motherhood

7 Things All Working Moms Should Know

With Mother’s Day right around the corner, it’s really making me reflect on the last three years I’ve been a mom and how each year was so different. I think becoming a mother has been the hardest but the most gratifying job I’ve ever had. I’m sure all mothers can relate when I say that that being a mother is the absolute hardest, but also the most rewarding job ever.

Being the working mom that I am, it throws a different set of challenges. Through it all, I’ve been able to learn how to prioritize and create boundaries. Not to say that I’ve figured everything out but I feel like I’ve finally gotten a hold of this whole working mom thing (let’s not jinx that as Chloe’s getting older)! So, this year, I teamed up with DSW Designer Shoe Wearhouse to share some of my truths about being a working mom!

Here are my top 7 Tips on What I Feel Every Working Mom Should Know:

1. Communication

My first tip, though it might be repetitive, is communication. On top of a group chat, we have a master family calendar visible in our home. I write down dates that I’m traveling or days that I might have a late night for events. This way Allen, and my in-laws (aka Chloe’s babysitters) are fully aware of my upcoming schedule so nothing is put on them last minute or a surprise. Being away from your family is stressful for you, but also for the people around you too! If you’re more digitally inclined, a shared Google Calendar works great too! I’m just old-fashioned in the sense that I like to have dates on paper!

2. Understand Your Limits

It’s easy as a working mom to feel guilty and to feel like you need to overcompensate. I used to try to do everything when I got home from a big trip. From the early mornings, to breakfast, to getting ready for school, to cleaning up, to picking up from school, bath time, dinner time and then bedtime! I would feel so bad for not being able to do the little things when I was gone that I felt like I had to do EVERYTHING! I’ve since learned that it’s a marathon, not a sprint. Splitting responsibilities, setting ground rules and knowing your limits are super important. It’s not realistic for someone to do everything, so take it in stride!

3. Don’t Be Afraid to Ask for Help

With that said, it’s important to have a few people in your life that you can count on. Just like the saying goes, ‘when it rains it pours,’ so if you ever feel like you need a “you day,” or even an hour to get back into the groove- ask someone to help! Nothing is worse than bringing the stress of work back home. So if you need some time to clear your mind, don’t feel guilty!

4. Family Time Should Not Be Interrupted

I love what I do and nothing comes between me and my work, and that is my same attitude with my family. Boundaries and rules on both sides are paramount. Whether it be one hour or thirty minutes, just do your best to put that phone away and fully focus on making memories and being present. When Allen and I have family time, we love to take Chloe to get ice cream and she loves just running around at the mall or the park. Any wide open spaces, actually! There is no better feeling than seeing your child laugh so freely out of pure happiness.

5. Play Fair

Most of the time, I keep work at the office and when I’m home, I’m totally present with Chloe. There are days every once and a while that I work from home, and I have to get a lot of things done but those are the exceptions. I know that there are some parents who might be against this, but if mommy is doing work, I have to be fair in that I can’t expect her to entertain herself so I allow her some screen time. I’m vocal about it, so she knows what’s going on. When I’m writing emails, she can watch children-friendly YouTube shows, but once I’m done, screen time is over. You can’t expect them to be perfect, so you have to find some meet them in the middle!

(There are plenty of great educational videos and games that I’ve discovered that encouraged her learning vs just zoning out! Would you guys like me to do a post about that?)

6. Be Excited to Work

It was funny because a few weeks ago, Chloe told me that she didn’t want to go to school, she wanted to work instead. I don’t know if she fully understands what that means, but she assumes that work is fun for me because I express work with so much joy. I think she might think it’s playtime for mommy. Positive affirmations are so important, in all spaces! Kids are sponges and they absorb everything! Just last weekend, I ask if she wanted to go to the park or to work and she says work! Although we all work hard and have hard days, instead of complaining you should express how much you love to work and what a blessing it is to go to work and provide for the family. Hopefully, it will encourage her to be a strong working young woman.

sponsored by DSW Designer Shoe Warehouse, but all opinions are my own.

7. Ban the Word Balance

Some of you guys have probably heard me talk about this before but now I try to stay away from the word balance because we’re all trying to chase balance, and it’s exhausting! Once we feel like we’ve figured it out, all of a sudden it will shift and everything is out of whack again. If we’re constantly trying to chase balance, then it’s a never-ending uphill battle. I try to look at things as kind of a see-saw approach. There will be seasons that your work will be crazy and your personal life might have to be sacrificed. And there will be seasons where your family and your personal life will need you more and you’ll have focus more on that! It’s really hard to find the middle ground for a see-saw. So as long as you understand that there’s a season for everything, then you’ll feel a little bit better everything!

Like I said, I don’t have it all figured out but these tips and reminders have really helped me stay sane! Are any of you working moms? I’d love to hear your thoughts and your tips! Let me know down below!

PS: If interested, you can shop our family’s DSW Shoes via the below links!

sigxo_chriselle

TELL US YOUR THOUGHTS!

• Eva says:

I hate that iPads and YouTube for kids gets such a bad rap. To me, that iPad has been a lifesaver during our travels abroad and when we would like to get out of the house for a few hours to grab dinner or walk around. Sometimes Sofia is not having to anything but when we pop out her children videos. She’s happy. I don’t feel bad for this at all.

Thank you for Your post nonetheless. Just goes to show you we’re all doing the very best we can with our children.

• Danielle says:

Thanks for this Chriselle. These aren’t the standard answers and I appreciate that. You want your kids to know that YOU have an identity, have worth and purpose. And it isn’t just to be SUPERMOM. I hope this helps our children–especially our daughters—to see a plan for their own lives, i.e. you don’t have to sacrifice self to be a good mom.

• Diana Lopes says:

You’re damn right about these things! You must be an incredible mom.

• Cristina Gutierrez says:

So obsessed with this post! After reading this, I dragged my husband to DSW that weekend so we too can get a matching pair of Vans.

• Elizabeth T. says:

You’re an amazing mother, Chriselle, and I love how you’re always trying your best to be the best version of yourself, no matter what it is that you’re doing! <3 🙂 You're a great role model for all of us, and of course, to Chloe too! Happy Mother's Day to you!

XO, Elizabeth

• nat says:

I am not a mum yet, but I definitely feel like these tips can apply to relationships too
    These photos are so beautiful, Chloe is absolutely adorable
    xx

• Penelope says:

PLEEEEEEAAAASEEEEE!!!! =)

• Mireia says:

Absolutely love it!

Mireia from TGL

• Pearlin says:

Hi Chriselle,

I’m writing a book on working moms & love what you’ve written here. Would love to quote you with a reference back to your site if that’s ok?

• Leeya says:

Yes! Please share the educational videos you met Chloe watch on YouTube! Thanks for the tips! Happy mother’s day!

• Even though I am not a working mom, I always have a hard time “balancing” work and my personal life. Like you said I thing I need to ban the word balance and try to focus on the things that are happening at that time and then just enjoy when I have the opportunity with my family.

• Tabitha says:

Great post! These are amazing tips that I think everyone could live by. As a former PrK teacher, I see how young kids are very observant and react and act in the way you act. I think overall you have to do what’s best for you and your family without any fears of guilt!

Tabitha

• These photos are beautiful and this post is great even for those of us without the family. I think some of the nuances of busy life is something everyone can relate to. Thank you!

chevrons & éclairs

• Natali says:

Understanding the limits and not being afraid to ask for help when you need it were and still are the most crucial ones for me!

• Rimi says:

Keeping your schedule visible in house is an amazing way of communicating with your family! Love it

• I can’t get over how big Chloe has gotten! She looks adorable! These are great tips for any woman, loved them!
    María Eugenia | http://www.thegirlonanisland.com

• sara nena says:

family shouldn’t be interrupted…so right

• Jae says:

Your family is so adorable!
    Jae

• Oh Chriselle thank you so much for these wonderful tips. I really understand what are you saying. It’s the hardest work in the world but is extremely gratifying, our sons are the best of our life for sure¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡
    Today on my blog is about mothers too, I gave a little tribute to this person so important is our life¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

Kisses from Miami

• Yes, fellow working mum of two here. Leaving work at work is my biggest tip, and scheduling time for other things I need to do that I am uninterrupted with like blog work and such for the evenings when the kids sleep.

Anne|Linda, Libra, Loca

• […] Not to say that I’ve figured everything out but I feel like I’ve gotten a hold of this whole working mom thing (let’s not Jinx that as Chloe’s getting older)! So I teamed up with DSW to share some of my truths about being a working mom! from The Chriselle Factorhttp://thechrisellefactor.com/2018/05/473597-things-all-working-moms-should-know/ […]