LIFESTYLE

7 Tips for Writing Your Resume

Hey everyone! It’s Linette back on the blog today. Quick note before we jump into this topic – thanks to everyone who wrote such encouraging comments on my first post. I’m so glad you enjoyed and found the tips to be helpful. Excited to continue this series, so onto the next one!

Shop the Blouse | Shop the Blazer | Shop the Book

Writing a resume can be daunting and stressful. Whether you’re starting from scratch, or refreshing the one you have – there are so many ways to approach the task at hand. For me, being clear, concise, and focusing on contributions seem to be the best formula. This is also what I look for when considering new talent. I am by NO means an expert at this but there are a lot of great articles re: what a “modern” resume looks like (check out this one from LinkedIn and Monster). Here are some of the best tips I’ve found from experience and various sources:

1. Be specific.

If you’re ‘word-stuffing’ your job description, a recruiter/hiring manager will sniff that out in a second. Clearly state what you worked on and how you drove results (specify sales #, period of time, if you worked w/ cross-functional teams, etc.)

2. Prepare to prove yourself.

Make sure that whatever you claim on your resume you can actually own up to it. There’s nothing worse than finally finding an awesome resume, but in an interview, the candidate can’t articulate how they delivered on each contribution.

3. Cater to your audience.

If it’s a job you really want, spend the time to tweak your resume so it speaks to the role you’re going after. If it says they’re looking for a team player, demonstrate how you worked with others to build a project, execute, solve problems together, etc.

4. Be easy on the eyes.

Remember that most HR/hiring managers filter through tons of resumes every day. Make sure your 1-sheet page is visually pleasing, easy to track, and modern in aesthetic. It should be a no-brainer to find your contact info, figure out how long you worked at each job, and get a quick sense of your experience.

5. Spell check, grammar check.

Any spelling / grammatical errors are simply pet peeves for most people who review resumes. Don’t be lazy – there are plenty of automated tools to utilize and no excuses not to.

6. Think of a theme.

Recently, I’ve realized I have a common thread throughout my varied work experience: I thrive on indie-style brands. Try to think of a way to define what your value-add is and weave this story throughout your resume.

7. Honesty is the best policy.

Be real with yourself and the role you’re seeking. You should be proud of every line you write on your resume – not trying to hide behind fluffy words. There’s no sense in wasting your time (or the hiring person’s time) if in the end, your experience doesn’t match up to the profile they need. It just means it’s not the right fit, and that’s ok!

Would love to hear your resume tips and what your experience has been with job hunting!

x,

Linette

TELL US YOUR THOUGHTS!

• Jenny Yang says:

Loved this post. As someone who is still looking for a full time position out of college, these tips were so helpful!
    xx Jen

• Judy says:

Love reading your tips and advice!

• Nikki says:

Completely agree with all your tips Linette!

Love,
    Nikki

• These are such great tips! Love the tip on being easy on the eyes!

chevrons & éclairs

• Elizabeth says:

Thank you so much for sharing all of these great tips on resume writing! It can definitely be a daunting an nerve-wrecking experience! These are definitely sooo helpful!

XO, Elizabeth

• K says:

Thanks for the tip

• Christiane Lima says:

Thank you for the tips for a good resume.
    kisses from Brazil.

• Chloe says:

This is such a helpful post! Thanks for sharing xx

Chloe x

• Jennifer says:

I’m currently in the process of writing my resume. I’m also building up my resume too! These tips are so helpful and I definitely will utilize them to my advantage. 🙂

• Ashlee says:

Really great tips! I still need to remind myself to spell check! And I’m finding now, in my early to mid thirties I’ve just begun my career! Everything in my resume has had a once over recently while preparing, interviewing and receiving a dream job offer. And to be honest, I did what you described, creating a theme of sorts! It’s such a great post and will definitely recommend!

• Ashlee says:

Really great tips! I still need to remind myself to spell check! And I’m finding now, in my early to mid thirties I’ve just begun my career! Everything in my resume has had and once over recently while preparing, interviewing and receiving s job offer. And to be honest, I did what you described, creating s theme of sorts! It’s such a great post and will recommend

• Chantal says:

Great post and tipps!!!😍😍👌🏻👌🏻X C

• Tabitha says:

Great post! This is probably one of the most specific resume tip post i’ve read so far. I really like the point about proving your skills and research. I think that’s a point we often forget.

Tabitha

• Taylor says:

Could you ask Linette to do a post on tips for writing cover letters? Thank you!

• Mireia says:

Absolutely love it!

Mireia from TGL

• Marianne says:

I am a penultimate year Business and Economics student, and at the moment I am looking for a job for the summer. Therefore this post was perfectly timed. I hope to one day be able to combine my studies with the love and interest that I have for fashion. Thank you so much for such great tips, Linette!
    I find proof-reading and letting someone else read it through as very essential! 🙂 <3
    xx

• This is one of the reason I love this blog, you talk about a lot of interesting things. This post is amazing.

Today on my blog a long skirt + velvet top outfit, perfect for coming season…….

• […] Writing a resume can be daunting and stressful. Whether you’re starting from scratch, or refreshing the one you have – there are so many ways to approach the task at hand. from The Chriselle Factorhttp://thechrisellefactor.com/2018/04/7-tips-for-writing-your-resume/ […]