Fashion

Redefining Work Appropriate Attire

Working in a creative environment means I have a lot of freedom when it comes to my work attire and dressing how I want and feel that day but I know a lot of you work in corporate offices and have a lot more restrictions and guidelines to follow!

So, that’s why I’m so excited to bring back my BFF Linette to talk about redefining work appropriate attire (corporate offices approved)! You probably recognize Linette from this post here! She lives and works in NYC and is a total boss babe. I’m going to let Linette take it away from here!

Coat: Joeseph | Blazer: Theory | Blouse: Tibi | Trousers: Theory | Heels: Aquazurra  | Bag: Celine (Similar Here)

First of all, I’m thrilled to be back as a contributor! I hope my insights will be helpful to my fellow 9-5ers.

Working in a corporate office can leave you with very little time for your personal life. Pile on the stress of planning your outfits? It’s at the bottom of my to-do list.

This year, I decided to try the ‘uniform’ concept at work – narrowing down my base to black and white, and adding on a neutral layer (i.e. a grey blazer), or unique accessory to add some flair. I’ve been doing this for a few months, and to be honest, it has been LIBERATING. I absolutely love knowing exactly what to reach for each morning. The last thing I want, is to start my day cluttered with decisions. You know, kind of like Steve Jobs – I love this article on “decision fatigue” (check it out during your lunch break).

This may not be for everyone, but for me, it’s been a game-changer. I no longer try to keep up with every single trend since I’m focused on investing in a few classic pieces. For me, that means a great silk blouse or even black leather pants (I like to add a little edge or masculinity to my style). Now, I spend my morning preparing for the day (prioritizing my to do’s, flagging urgent emails) or getting in a little self-care (like meditating or stretching for a few quick minutes). Makes all the difference in how you approach the day!

Kitten Heels: Chanel (Similar Here) | Backpack: Mansur Gavriel
I am constantly inspired what working women wear on the train. You have to strike a balance between making it commuter-friendly while looking somewhat decent if you run into your CEO in the elevator. Here are the staple pieces that I’ve seen work best in rotation:
4. Kitten heels (to change into at work)
A great blouse can take you through any season, and silk tends to read more put together, like “I tried”. Black pants are a go-to in my wardrobe – I have different lengths, fabrics, and cuts but usually wear skinnies. As for boots, any New Yorker will tell you that flat black boots are a must (no matter the season). And I’m sure I’m not the only one to do this – I keep a mini shoe closet at work so I can quickly change out of my commuter shoes (which as of late, have been muddy from the snow).
Recently, I’ve been loving a great kitten heel – the ones pictured here are my newest acquisition so I’ll be hand carrying them in my backpack until they’re broken in. (P.S. I think backpacks are so much better for subway transit than large totes – less strain on one shoulder!)

Blazer: Tibi  | Scarf: Acne | Blouse: Tibi | Jeans: Frame | Boots: Freda Salvador | Sunglasses: Celine (Similar Here)

Would love to know what you’re wearing to work – anyone else try the uniform concept? What else would you like me to share? Let me know in the comments below! Until next time,

x Linette

TELL US YOUR THOUGHTS!

• Jo says:

Amazing looks

Kiss kiss.*Jo
    Jo & Company Style

• Denise Zhu says:

Loved all these looks.
    I am currently packing for my big move to NYC and this post has given me so many ideas in regards to what I MUST bring.

• Jennifer says:

All of your outfit ideas and tips are so helpful! Every outfit is so chic and professional. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

• Jeana Lim says:

This blog post was so much fun!! While I no longer work at an office as I’m blessed to be a stay at home mama of three boys. This style is so true for even mama’s. I’m always worried about what to wear when there are parent conferences or when I have outings with other moms. And I love the idea of having a few nice staples and making it simplistic. Love the look of the blazer with those lace up boots and drawstring bag. I feel like I could wear that to every outing over and over again without getting tired of the look. Thank you for this informative yet fun blog post!!

• P Cope says:

Bad ass!!! 😎
    I choose to walk 20 min. to work….what do you think would be the best/stylish/med arch support shoe? Struggling with tennis shoes everyday 😑
    Thanks!!

• Tammy says:

I love these outfits. Such a smart idea to keep shoes at work or switch pairs when you get somewhere! I bet that saves your shoes a lot too 😉Thanks for sharing your style Linette! 💕

xx Tammy

• Jennifer Hu says:

My friend’s wardrobe is all full of neutrals! She would really appreciate this article 🙂 Also, this article is so great for figuring out how to dress for my internship – although I have to say where I work is more casual! Definitely bookmarking this one!

xoxo, Jennifer Hu

• Traci J says:

I love the simplicity of a neutral working wardrobe. It gives back so much time and head-space in the morning!

• Jesse says:

Oh my gosh, this article totally speaks to me. I’ve been doing the uniform thing for a bit now with black or white shirts and totally agree! I just got a new job and literally spent the past four hours shopping for new work clothes, only to come to the conclusion that I just want to stick with my regular uniform routine. I joke that if I had the money, I would have a glorious wardrobe of all kinds of clothes. But, at the end of the day, I know I like my simple go-to outfits. Also, just tried to buy these shoes from Zara today (https://www.zara.com/us/en/combined-mid-heel-leather-slingback-shoes-p12248301.html?v1=5929053&v2=719531) that are another alternative to the Chanel slingbacks you mentioned above. Love it, thanks for sharing!

• Dalila says:

I’ll try the black and white combo with neutral colors. My go-to outfits for work are a sleek blazer, a straight cropped pants and a cute top. I always wear sneakers or flats then at work I change my shoes into kitten heels or mid-height block heels.
    Thanks for sharing with us your tips.
    XOXO

• Nikki says:

Great tips Linette!
    I loved your photographs!

Love,
    Nikki

• kate says:

can someone help me identify the boots with the grommets in the picture?
    thanks!

• Would love more of these working tips. LOVE the boots, going to buy the shopbop pair! x

chevrons & éclairs

• Elizabeth says:

Loving these super chic tips! 🙂 I’m all about comfort in the office (because who wants to be stuck in too tight skirts or trousers and uncomfortable heels), so I really enjoyed this post! <3

XO, Elizabeth

• Vivian says:

Linette, your shoes are to die for!

Vivian | LIVE IN LOVE
    IG | @viviyunn_

~

• I love the final look! I think I’m the same way in that I want to start building up the classic pieces in my wardrobe that can go a long way. Would love to add a Chanel slingback to the mix!

• Chloe says:

Love this outfit! Great post ❤️

Chloe x

• Mireia says:

Absolutely love it!

Mireia from TGL

• Alina says:

Love how easy to combine these pieces are! And my favorite neutral colors!

• Keri says:

Ahhh, your style is impeccable, Linette! Love this work outfit so much. And those Chanel heels? I am DYING

Enclothed Cognition

• Kathrin says:

These are such classic chic looks!

Kathrin | Polar Bear Style

• BJ says:

I love your style. With the classic outfits you look professional but you have styled them to have a little edginess. I love every single outfit. I don’t like a lot of the outfits lately with the cutout shoulder(s), mismatched sleeves, etc. Some of them look like the person rolled out of bed onto the floor and whatever clung to the body is what went out the door that day.

• Liv says:

So professional and chic!

Liv

livforstyle.net

• Shloka says:

This outfit is so stylish but so professional too!

x
    Shloka

• Kim says:

I love the idea of having basic, classic pieces! I love your blazer!

Kim

http://trendkeeper.me — NYC TRAVEL GUIDE!

• Dani says:

Such a cool post. I am also an office worker and really happy to find work appropriate outfits. Please share more 🙂

• Marianne says:

Work appropriate and so chic! 🙂 <3
    xx

• Melanie says:

Love this post! I am an office worker and it’s nice to see some simplified outfits for those of us who can’t be the free fluttering birds of colourful creativity and have to stick to the rules and uniforms 😉

• […] I’m so excited to bring back my BFF Linette to talk about redefining work appropriate attire! from The Chriselle Factorhttp://thechrisellefactor.com/2018/03/redefining-work-appropriate-attire/ […]