Beauty, Skin Tips

10 Skin Habits You Should Adopt This Year

So we’re nearly through the 2nd month of the year (it’s gone by so fast already!) but if there’s one thing I’ve learned about life is that you don’t need to wait until January 1st to start making changes. Because let’s be real- how many of you have kept up with those resolutions? Like I talked about here, this year I’m all about intentions. One of my intentions was about having a healthy relationship with my body.

1. Be Mindful of How You Wash Your Face

At this point, you’re probably on auto-pilot when you wash your face- am I right? But tonight when you wash your face- notice how your hands move! You probably wash down, pushing the product or water downwards on your face! But STOP! Think about it this way- gravity pulls down, which is how wrinkles are created! Try washing up, using upwards motions. It might take a while to get used to- but you’ll thank me later!

2. Exfoliate All Over

You’re supposed to exfoliate your face once to twice a week- but are you showing the same love to the rest of your body? Gently using a body scrub like this one or this one can dramatically change the texture of your skin and can really help reveal some gorgeous skin! One tip I’ve picked up from the girls on the CINCteam is to always exfoliate before you shave your legs. This helps get rid of all of that dead skin that’s built up around your hair follicles and give you a great shave!

3. Dry Brush

I’ve been dry brushing off and on for a couple of years now (remember this post here?) and I think it’s a great habit to get into. As with anything, do your research to make sure it’s right for you. Dry brushing is a great way to exfoliate, improve circulation and helps improve the appearance of cellulite!

4. Add Hyaluronic Acid for Moisture

Believe it or not, Hyaluronic Acid, aka HA is something you already have in your body! Yep, it’s already in your skin and connective tissues throughout your body to keep everything nice and lubricated. So why should you add it to your skincare routine? Well, HA is really good at retaining moisture. Like really really good. As you age, your skin loses its natural ability to retain moisture- so adding HA serums (like this one or this one) to your routine is a great way to make sure you get all that goodness to your skin.

5. Drink More Water

I know, I know- you’ve probably heard this a million times. But a good reminder never hurt anyone. So chug some H20! Text your friends and remind them! Tweet it! Your skin and your body will thank you, I promise. I have a hard time remembering to drink water but having a super cute water bottle like this one helps me remember to hydrate!

6. Invest in a Good Eye Cream

The skin around your eyes is the most delicate layer on your face. That means it wrinkles faster, and shows the first signs of fatigue more so than the rest of your face (can you say puffy eye-bags and dark circles?) So that means your eyes deserve extra special care. A good eye cream can go a LONG way. I’m loving this one and this one right now! Even if you don’t see wrinkles now, eye creams are the best way to prevent wrinkles and crows feet from developing. If you’re in your teens/20’s, I recommend an anti-aging eye cream like this one.

7. Add a Retinol for Nighttime

If you’re new to retinol, it probably sounds scary, but I promise it’s not. According to the interview I did with skincare queen Kate Somerville, “There are so many benefits to Retinol: it stimulates collagen, removes environmental damage, aids in wrinkle reduction, helps with breakouts, reduces scarring, minimizes pore size, helps skin texture, helps to remove brown spots… it does all of it! Retinol can be drying and irritating, so look for time-released, gentle formulas.” (To read the full interview about anti-aging in your 20s vs 30s, click here!) If you want to add retinol to your skincare routine, I’d recommend this one or this one!

8. Sunscreen, Sunscreen, Sunscreen!

You should be wearing sunscreen every single day. Sunny out? Sunscreen. Overcast? Still sunscreen. Rainy? Sun. Screen. If you haven’t adopted this habit yet, especially as the season for sun-worshipping is upon us- start now! This one here is great because it sets your makeup AND gives you SPF! And we all know how much I love a good double-duty beauty product!

9. Use Something with Vitamin C

Taking vitamins is important, but so is using beauty products with vitamins! I’ve been really loving these two Vitamin C serums here and here. Vitamin C helps visibly brighten your skin, reduce dark spots and overall improve the texture of your skin!

10. Try a Collagen Powder

Are you guys using a collagen powder yet? Collagen by definition is ‘the main structural protein found in skin and other connective tissues.’ Basically, it gives structure to your hair, nails, bones, ligaments, and tendons. So incorporating more collagen into your daily diet means healthy joints, strong nails and hair, and glowing skin! What’s not to love? Just add some to your morning coffee.

It takes 21 days to make or break a habit- so start TODAY. Do you guys have any skin habit that you’ve adopted and loved? Let me know in the comments below!

• These are very good habits to make your skin glow.

• shasha says:

your tips are awesome which makes you beautiful . I am glad to know that these small things can make my skin more beautiful.

• Christina says:

Hey Chriselle,
    love the post, but I also heard some creams’ and serums’ ingredients don’t match and add up so it can actually be counterproductive to use so many products. Do you have any insights regarding this issue? Best wishes, Christina

• Love all the insights!

• eenice says:

wow…as much as i love chriselle’s recommendation and tips….the prices for some of these products are WAYYYY over my budget. Chriselle, could you also include some more affordable (i.e. student budget friendly 😂) products as substitute too???
    Thank you!

• Chriselle says:

Hey Eenice! I totally get you, I’ll try to include more budget-friendly stuff! But in the meantime, be sure to check out Hannah’s skincare posts (she’s not a college student but she uses a lot more affordable products)! xo Chriselle

• Katya says:

I honestly have been looking for a post like this. #5 is quite easy to follow. This list is so precise.”\

StyleSprinter Blog by Katya Bychkova

• Flipper says:

Thanks for the comment, koya says:, and of course, I’m totally in agreement with it(!)

• Nikki says:

So much information Chriselle!
    Loved this post, it feels like there is someone looking out for us!

• Annie says:

These tips are so useful – have saved them so I can keep track!

• Aida says:

Hi! Do you have any vegan alternatives for collagen powder that you recommend? Thanks for your time!

• I don´t use a collagen powder right now, but I do all of the above and summed up it makes a huge difference.

Anne|Linda, Libra, Loca

• Elizabeth says:

I’ve recently started adding HA in to my skincare routine, and my skin has been loving it so much! 🙂 <3 I can't agree more with the sunscreen, Vitamin C, and washing your face in upward motions! Thanks for sharing all of these great skincare tips, Chriselle! And loving all of the photos!

XO, Elizabeth

• Kirsty says:

Hi there,
    This article is so useful! I want to try them all! But normally how many serums we can use daily? Can I use Hyaluronic Acid plus my firming serum plus my night cream? Or even with retinol?
    Thank you.

• koya says:

love a good eye cream.not been using.very helpful

• Vivian says:

Hyaluronic acid does wonders for my skin! Thanks for the recommendations~

Vivian | LIVE IN LOVE
    IG | @viviyunn_

• Mireia says:

Absolutely love it!

Mireia from TGL

• Lily says:

I adore your skincare posts, Chriselle – thanks for sharing! xo

• Tabitha says:

Great post! I know there’s a few things I need to do to for my skin. One thing I would definitely recommend for great skin is to cut back or cut off sugar and dairy. My skin instantly improved once I quit, along with heavy gluten, but it’s definitely not for the faint of heart.

• Jae says:

I really need to try dry brushing! I’ve heard so many benefits of doing it but still have yet to try it.

• Thank for the tips! Skin care is so important but I always throw it on the back burner, definitely a habit that needs to change! Going to keep these in mind.

• Shubana says:

I love dry brushing but they often fall apart 🙁 which brush do you use?

Sugar Coated Things x Beauty Blog

• Kim says:

I never thought about how to wash my face! I do feel like I’m rough on my skin – thanks for the tips!

Kim .. STRIPES & NYFW!

• Angela says:

Great tips! I really want to start dry brushing this year but I’m super lazy with body care!

• Ellie says:

I have never tried a dry brush before but I love the sound of it!

Ellie xx

• Marianne says:

These habits are definitely so important but as you say they are easier said than done. Me too, I feel like this year I want to be more mindful about my skin 🙂 Thanks for sharing this <3

• Shloka says:

Omg you are so right about how we wash our face! I’ve been told this by my derma but I just never actually did it but now you’ve really made me realise I need to start!

• I need to look into retinol again. Used to use it for some of my skin issues and loved how it transformed my skin!

chevrons & éclairs

• […] It’s so much easier said than done, but I’ve been really trying to prioritize what goes into my body and onto my skin. So with that said, the CINCteam and I gathered the 10 skin habits you should adopt this year! from The Chriselle Factor […]