LIFESTYLE, Motherhood

My Tips for the Traveling Mommy

You guys know how much I struggle with this topic, as I’ve definitely talked about it before. It’s never easy having to travel for work and leave my family behind. Nowadays, I do a bit more traveling than I’d like – but today I’m going to share my thoughts and some tips I’ve picked up on how I make it work as a traveling/working mommy.

I know there’s no right or wrong answer to motherhood and it all depends on your family, workflow and what’s right for them, but here’s what’s worked for me given my work situation. Mommy guilt is something that I don’t think ever goes away. Every time I leave, I feel guilty but I know that at the same time, being a working mom is setting a great example for Chloe. And who knows, maybe one day I can take her with me!

1. FaceTime

I’m not really sure what parents did before the days of FaceTime! I love being able to communicate and stay in touch with Chloe and Allen, no matter where in the world I am! I try not to miss a beat when I’m gone, and even though I’m physically not there- I always try to make it for bedtime! Depending on the time difference and if my schedule allows for it- we always try to eat dinner as a family.

2. Routine

I’m so blessed to have such an amazing support system back at home. Allen is amazing at keeping Chloe on her routine (though sometimes he doesn’t always follow the bed-time rule that strictly when I’m gone! LOL!) We try to keep Chloe on a routine to give her some sense of normalcy, even when I’m away.

3. Hide Notes

When I have time before I leave for a big trip- I hide little notes around the house for Chloe to find! She can’t read yet- but she loves to find the little pictures I draw for her. She loves seeing them when she wakes up and finding them throughout the time I’m gone.

4. Countdown Calendar

Now that Chloe is older, we’ve been doing a calendar countdown for my longer trips. Most kids don’t totally grasp the concept of time- 3 days, 3 weeks, they don’t really understand how long that feels but with a countdown calendar, we can count down the days that go by and she can physically see it! Allen will tell Chloe that mommy will be back after however many “sleeps!”

5. Books of Places I’m Going

Before I leave, I always grab a picture book about the place I’m going. Since I travel to New York and Paris the most- she now knows that Mommy is either going to the “Statue of Liberty” or the “Eiffel Tower!” It’s educational and it helps her understand. She really loves these books in particular: click here and here!

6. Polaroids

This is more for me than for Chloe, but I always have a photo of Chloe in my wallet and passport holder. Anytime I see her little face it helps me stay motivated especially when I’m away from my family. I’ll always have my CloClo in my pocket and with me!

It’s never easy leaving my family to travel, but I hope that these tips can help any of you working mommies out there! If you have any tips for the working mommy, please leave me a comment below!

sigxo_chriselle

TELL US YOUR THOUGHTS!

• […] like I talked about in the post here– I love using books as a way to introduce new things to Chloe. So when I began to sleep train […]

• Vijay Patel says:

Lovely post and lovely pictures! Loved all the tips!

• Aww I am not a mom yet but this melts my heart. Thank you for sharing

• You are too cute and have such an amazing and wonderful family. I loved your pictures and just enjoyed reading your post throughout. Lovely!

• Love these tips! You are a great mom!

• Easter says:

Love these ideas! 💕

• Styling Fun says:

Love the hide notes idea! I have done that with my kids, and I’ve gotten sweet messages back!

• Michela says:

You have such an amazing family!!
    Miki xx

• Wendy says:

So cute. LOVE #3, 4, and 5. Stealing those when I have kids! #bestworkingmomever (after my own) 🙂

• Nikki says:

Haven’t reached that phase in my life yet! But when I do, I’m sure I’m going to have someone to relate to! Thank you Chriselle!

Love,
    Nikki

• Phua says:

I love all of your tips! Although I don’t travel for work like you do, mommy guilt affects us all!

BTW, I think you are a wonderful mother to Chloe and you’re setting such a good example for her as a strong, dedicated and hardworking woman. Keep being an inspiration Chriselle!

• Tabitha says:

This was such a sweet post! I love all the different little things you do to keep your daughter close when you are away. I especially love the little notes you hide and how you read to her about where you’re going.

Tabitha

• Elizabeth says:

You’re such a hardworking and inspirational mother, Chriselle 🙂 Chloe is definitely so lucky to have you! <3

XO, Elizabeth

• K says:

Love the tips

• Aw this is so so adorable! Wonderful tips too that I would share with friends who are mommys!

XOXO //
    SINCERELY OPHELIA | NYC Petite Fashion Blogger

• Jenn says:

Thank you sharing this post. I have twin boys 20 months old. I travel 4 times a year for work, away 3 nights every trip. I often get mom guilt but loved your ideas of hiding notes, pictures and as they get older the count down calendar will be fun. I’m going to buy them books since they love to read. You’re doing awesome Chriselle #workingmoms!! It’s so nice to have a sweet and supportive husband and family. I’m lucky to have that as well my parents live 10 mins away and help us out a lot.

• Vivian says:

So sweet that you leave little notes and drawn pictures around the house for her!

Vivian | LIVE IN LOVE
    IG | @viviyunn_

~

• Erin says:

You are extremely lucky to have such a supportive husband. Its nearly impossible to do the same when daddy has to travel a lot for work as well. Someone in the family has to stay behind. You and cloclo are so cute together!

• Facetime is a huge game changer, it’s how I communicate with my parents most of the time. It’s amazing you try to make bedtime/dinner even when you’re away on a trip, Chloe is so lucky to have you as a mom 🙂

– Michelle –
    MICHELLE X PAN | A surrealist fashion blog

• These tips are so sweet, I love them! Thanks for the lovely post Chriselle!

I hope you’ve had a lovely Monday,
    Michael

• Natali says:

FaceTiming and sending photos to my daughters phone are two things which are “everything” to me when I’m travelling
    and we have to be separated.

• This is the sweetest post ever! Literally the loveliest mom! I hope you continue to tell yourself that she is REALLY proud of you too 🙂 x

chevrons & éclairs

• Steal4Style says:

Aw, number 3 is such a good idea!! I love this list of tips, you are so creative. Have a nice week!
    Steal4Style.com

• Mireia says:

Absolutely love it!

Mireia from TGL

• Such a nice, personal post. Love it.

Also, what foundation do you have on? it looks amazing!

• […] Nowadays, I do a bit more traveling than what I’d like- but today I’m going not share my thoughts and some tips I’ve picked up on how I make it work as a traveling mommy. from The Chriselle Factorhttp://thechrisellefactor.com/2018/01/my-tips-for-the-traveling-mommy/ […]