LIFESTYLE

Self Reflection + 9 Questions to Ask Yourself

I hate saying this every year, but really… WHERE THE HECK HAS THE YEAR GONE??? Anyone else feel me on this? Every time around this time of the year, I feel like time cannot go by any faster…and then it does! As the year goes on…and we continue to grow busier and older… the harder it is to find the time to sit still and self-reflect. I’m a big believer that in order to start your year on the right foot you need to pause, reflect, and set the right intentions for the new year. I also realized that reflection may be more difficult to achieve for some than others. So today, I wanted to share with you some of the questions I ask myself before the year ends (I actually found these questions on an amazing Pinterest board) and I challenge you guys to do the same as it will give you a clearer understanding of who you are and where you want to go for the new year.

Hope you guys enjoy reading this and know that I’m being brutally honest with some of these questions. These are personal thoughts and reflections that I’m sharing with the public so I hope you guys can respect them.

1. What were my best achievements this year?

Usually, when it comes to “achievements” I immediately think of some BIG milestone, award or major recognition, but this year it’s not that at all. In fact, it’s something so simple that it may not seem like an “achievement” to some of you. So what was my best achievement this year? It was simply to be able to rock my career while maintaining a strong marriage and family life. I shouldn’t say “simply” because it was not simple at all. This year, I had traveled more than I ever have and to be honest I was incredibly nervous about what would happen to my family, my daughter, and my husband this demanding schedule of mine. It was REALLY rough on everyone in the beginning, but it strengthened us as a family. We found ways to connect on a deeper level. We learned that it’s about quality and not quantity. I also learned that “balance” is idealistic and not realistic. I tried to chase having more of a “balanced life” and it nearly drove me off the cliff because the minute I thought I achieved it… I would lose it. I learned that life is more like a see-saw! Instead, knowing that there are seasons when your work side will be heavier and more prominent which most likely means that your personal life will probably suffer a bit, and know that there are seasons when your personal side will need you more and you will naturally need to take a load off from work. Once I understood that concept it almost freed me from the pressure of trying to be perfect in every aspect of my life.

Traveling overseas for 72 hours, rocking my job, and coming home and to completely disconnect from the world and just hang out with my family and tuck my daughter into bed. Could I do more for work? Yes, absolutely but I chose not to… and that was the biggest achievement of all for me in 2017.

2. How did those achievements make me feel?
It makes me feel like I have control over my life and I’m prioritizing what is needed at the moment.

3. What were my 3 biggest challenges or obstacles I faced this year? How did I overcome them? Who did I become as a result?

1. Maintaining and Growing my Marriage
With the amount of traveling, I did this year. It took a toll on my relationship with Allen. We found ourselves in an unpleasant place for a while. We both realized that we needed to invest in our relationship and not be so stagnant with it. We would both make an equal amount of effort to flying to wherever we were just to see each other for a day or two. We
FaceTimed multiple times a day just to “check in” with each other even if it was to talk about what we ate for breakfast! We also made it a priority to keep up with our date nights when we were both back home. Although we LOVE spending time with Chloe, it’s equally as important for us to have alone time. As a result, we are closer than we have ever been, and also willing to go the distance to support one another.

2. Staying Creative
As my business continued to grow at rapid speed this year + launching another company on top of that… I found little to no time to be creative. Being creative is the core of me and it keeps me inspired to do what I do. When I realized how important it was for me to continue to express myself creatively… I decided to let me team know that Thursdays are ME days, and no one can book me for anything on Thursdays. No shoots, no conference calls, nothing… this allowed me to breathe and give me space for creativity in my life again.

3. Managing Myself
I like to think that I can do it all. I love saying YES to everything, but this year I realized that I disappointed a lot of people because I would say YES and not be able to do what I said I would do. This is something I’m still working on and continuing to improve in 2018!

4. How have I developed or changed as a person?

I like to think that I’m much more confident in everything that I do. In my work, as a mother, and overall human being. I’m less dictated by what others are doing and focused on my own path. I also really listen to my body. Before I would PUSH PUSH PUSH myself to the limits to the point of exhaustion. I now know how hard I can push, and when I need to stop and get some rest.

5. What have I done differently this year? What new people have I met or new experiences have I had?

I REALLY value sleep now and I actually sleep more now than I ever have. This has made THE biggest difference in my energy level and the number of things I can take on. I feel more focused and alive because I’m super cautious of what I put in my body, the amount of sleep I get, and of course exercising regularly. One of the BEST experiences I had this year was the #CINCretreat I had with my team at Miraval resort. It was my first holistic wellness retreat it changed my life!

6. How much fun have I had this year? Was I fulfilled?

Oh man… I HAD THE TIME OF MY LIFE! Someone once told me “The days are long, but the years are short.” But to be honest, I feel like my days are short and my years are even shorter because I’m having so much fun. I feel incredibly fulfilled this year because of all the amazing people I get to interact with on a daily basis; especially my team! I see them almost every day and they know everything about me. I feel like they are my best friends and we are able to be super serious and get sh*t done, but also laugh our asses off and just have the best time ever together. I think because I focused so much on building relationships and memories with those around me that I feel so fulfilled.

7. Who has helped me, been influential or impacted my life this year?

There are so many people, but at the top of the list- I would say are my parents and my in-laws! They are ALWAYS there for me in a heartbeat when I need help. I don’t have a nanny to help me with Chloe, so this means a lot of random phone calls to my parents and/or my in-laws for favors! I wouldn’t be able to do what I do without their love and support.

8. What am I really proud of?

Being able to produce some of my best work, but still be able to come home to feed Chloe dinner and tuck her in for bed at night. No better feeling than that. Also finally launching CINC STUDIOS! So many major things happening right now that I can’t talk about!

9. Is everything I have done this year in alignment with my big dream or goal?

YES YES YES! I’ve never felt more aligned in my life. I feel like I’m at the exact place I need to be in my life.

I hope you guys enjoyed reading my answers, and I challenge you to write down these exact same questions before you start the new year. These questions really brought a lot of clarity to what I want to achieve in 2018.

Thank you guys so much for an AMAZING year and for all of your support throughout! I promise you next year will be bigger and better as we already have a few MAJOR surprises coming your way! Trust me… it won’t disappoint! Hope everyone has a fun and safe NYE and a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

sigxo_chriselle

• […] read Chriselle Lim’s 9 questions for self reflection, I knew right away I wanted to answer them for myself. I struggled so much with feeling stuck and […]

• Mireia says:

Absolutely love it!

Mireia from TGL

• Julia says:

Thank you for being so open and honest! I really really connected with what you said about not trying to achieve “balance” because life just isn’t meant to be controlled in that way. I also love how you talk about your relationship; it’s always growing and in progress.

• Annabelle says:

You really had an awesome year Chriselle! I can’t wait to see what you do with your blog and CINC studios too. So much good content!

Belle in Black and White

• Martina Kadlecova says:

Dear Chriselle,

thank you very much for this post! I always review my previous year during Xmas holidays. I feel it so important to find time, stop for a while and reflect. I even write it down because it helps me clear my thoughts. Now, I can look at my life from more perspectives thanks to these amazing questions 🙂 BIG THANK YOU 🙂

Lots of love and all the best in 2018, Martina

• NAty says:

this love this! happy new year babe!
    xx

• Michelle says:

Dear Chriselle,

Thank you so much for doing this incredibly inspiring and amazing post. Thank you for opening up your true feelings and struggles behind the scenes. You have always been my biggest inspiration and role model for the past 7 years.The first thing I do after I open my eyes in the morning is to check your ig post and ig stories EVERY SINGLE MORNING for the past 7 years. I really feel like you are a very close friend and mentor that inspires and motivates me every single day. I am SO proud to be your follower and to be part of your journey, to see you grow and enter different stages of your life has really inspired me A LOT. (I really mean it) From the bottom of my heart, I wish you all the best in 2018 and just want to let you know I will be here supporting you til the end of the world. < (I'm from HK)

Thank you and God bless you and your beautiful family.

Love,
    Michelle xoxo

• Lia Schon says:

I found this post incredibly inspiring. You’re a true role model to me, and many other people. I too, struggle with having a “balanced life” with school, social life, fitness, after-school activities and obviously my blog and being creative and doing what I love most. Finding the time to be creative is definitely a hard one! I also HATE saying no to people, and even more so disappointing them. I feel you, Chriselle!

• Paul says:

As always Thanks for sharing, great reflective questions

• Connie says:

Chriselle, this is some real “The Future is Female” stuff. It’s refreshing to see the confidence in your words and the fire in your heart.
    Thank you 🙏 I’m very inspired by you!

• Mia says:

I always feel like time flies and the fact that 2018 is here is insane to me! I absolutely loved this post and appreciate your ability to share your personal growth and reflect on your achievements and struggles. These are questions I will be using as journaling prompts to reflect on my own experiences this year! Happy New Year!

Mia | http://www.verymuchmia.com

• Jill says:

Your words totally resonated with me. I love your honesty and ability to be so real. I’ve been following your blog over the years and have enjoyed seeing your work grow and evolve. I admire your work ethic and success, and think it’s important that you are so committed to your family life and marriage. Keep rocking it! You’re an inspiration to me.
    Happy New Year! xx @petitejilly

• vilma says:

Very inspiring blog post this is just what I needed to read before the year ended. It’s important to stop breathe and think where are we heading.

• K says:

Lovely you have the best of 2017and Happy New Year for 2018 God Blessing Always 💕

• Tammy says:

I love this! What great questions to ask to be able to stop and reflect the year and goals for next year!
    xx Tammy

• mayette says:

Thank you and what a beautiful way to reflect;))

• Chriselle, thank you more than I can da dir this post!

Major Kudos to you for being fearlessly honest with yourself, and having g the courage to not only ask the questions, but answer them.

You are an inspiration to me, and I’m certain, to many many others as well!
    Bigger, Better, 2018!
    XOXO ❤

• Tabitha says:

Beautifully stated and answered. I love self-reflecting and seeing where I was to where I am now. I love the rawness and openness to your answers and how you deeply thought about your answers. I can’t wait to see what’s in store for 2018!

Tabitha

• Nikki says:

I’m going to get right to answering these questions myself!
    Here’s wishing you a Happy New Year in advance Chriselle!
    Thank you for being the inspiration you are!

Love,
    Nikki

• Laila says:

This year was definitely not my best. However, it did make me conscious of putting in an effort to make 2018 my year!

Laila from Townhouse Palette

• Natali says:

Absolutely amazing post and such a great questions to ask ourselves!!! You are looking incredible Chriselle!

• Marianne says:

I totally agree with you – this year has gone by way too fast! That’s why I really enjoyed reading this post! So important to stop and think and ask these kinds of self-reflecting questions to be able to learn and continue to grow as an individual. Thank you so much for sharing this amazing year with us! 🙂
    I wish you all the best for the New Year to come <3
    xx

• […] I hate saying this every year, but really… WHERE THE HECK HAS THE YEAR GONE??? Anyone else feel me on this? Every time I feel like time cannot go any faster… it does! from The Chriselle Factorhttp://thechrisellefactor.com/2017/12/self-reflection-9-questions-to-ask-yourself/ […]