Beauty, Skin Tips

How to Properly Apply Your Skincare

I’m sure that by now, 99-100% of you know that my skin and my skincare routine is such a big part of my life. While the products you use are important, the order in which you apply them and the WAY you apply them matter just as much!

So today, I’m sharing with you all how to properly apply your skincare:

1. Toner

Using a toner is great if you have acne prone or oily skin. It basically helps remove any excess oil and dirt from your skin/pores that your cleanser may have missed. It’s the perfect first step to completely cleanse your skin.

When I apply my toner, I like to gently pat it into my skin as oppose to rubbing it in.

2. Cream or Moisturizer

Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! A good moisturizer or cream can completely change your skin for the better. It keeps your skin from drying out and makes it nice and soft.  Also remember to read the labels!  Just because you’re using sunscreen doesn’t mean you’re moisturizing your skin as well.

I call this the push and swipe- it’s like a mini massage for your skin as you apply your moisturizer and really get it in there. It really helps lift your skin.

3. Eye Cream

The area around your eyes is extra fragile and sensitive and therefore needs extra TLC. A good eye cream can keep your skin nice and moisturized as well as help counteract puffiness and dark circles.

When applying an eye cream (even makeup), always ALWAYS use your ring fingers (they have the softest touch) – they apply the least amount of pressure.

4. Neck Cream

Never forget your neck! Just like your eyes and hands, the skin on your neck and your chest is also very thin, sensitive and prone to wrinkles. Using a good neck cream, can help keep you looking youthful and fresh.

Whenever you apply product to your neck, always use upward motions.

5. Serum/Oil

Last but not least, a serum or an oil! I know it might seem counterintuitive to put a bunch of oil on your skin before you go to sleep, but trust me it’s the best. It’s a final injection of moisture and it really helps lock in all of the goodness for your skin while your skin is resting and rejuvenating.

When I apply my oil or serum, I like to put it on my face in a massaging circular motion. It’s really relaxing, which is perfect before bed, and it really pushes the product into my skin.

Do you guys follow this order? Let me know in the comments below and check out down below for some of my skincare staples!

sigxo_chriselle

• Hey, your skin looks so clean. It is must to know how to properly apply your skin care products. If you’re applying your products in the wrong order, you can prevent your skin from receiving the full benefits.

• Thanks for the great post, Chriselle. Those pitctures look amazing! And your skin looks so clear! -Nicky

• […] 9. How to properly apply your skincare. […]

• I love this! So handy!

• I’m not sure about the Serum/Oil as a last step. My serum bottle says to use it before the moisturizer. I use Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair.

• Kimberly says:

The directions on my serums say to use before moisturizing.

• Karen says:

Love your photos in your post, they are always perfect! I don’t apply my skincare in this order- in fact I go: toner, essence, water-based serums, oil, eye cream then moisturiser to seal it all in!

• Nancy Feldman says:

In defense to the author- the directions are “how to apply” vs “the order of application” – I believe it was just a demo on the technique to apply skin care products-

• lynsey says:

Neck cream? Haha I just bring my moisturiser down my neck, I’m not fooled into buying another cream! I don’t understand why you would put your serum on top of moisturiser? Shouldn’t it be in order of thinnest consistency and so serum would go on before moisturiser? That’s the skincare method i have read to follow on skincare websites! Is Caroline Hirons , skin doctor etc

• Ericca says:

I agree, i have some serums that say go before oil as well. Now, I would not mind applying the juno oil by sunday riley after my moisterizer.

• iiheather says:

I’ve worked in skincare for 15 years and have been going to a dermatologist for 20. Doing serum on top of moisturizer is counterintuitive. Serums have a higher concentration of active ingredients and should go directly on the skin to absorb into the deeper layers to repair. Moisturizer creates a barrier to protect your own hydration from evaporating and to seal your natural moisture and active ingredients of serums in your skin. If you seal first then add serum the serum isn’t able to penetrate and get where it needs to go to repair.

• Tonile Wortley says:

Moisturiser last is what I’ve always been taught as well — you should finish the routine with the heaviest/most dense consistency to lock it all in.

• Mango says:

Omg, this is wonderful! I’m going to try the push and swipe method tonight!

Love,
    trnmango.com

• Aubrey says:

This is sooo helpful! Thank you:)

• Kiri says:

Really loving your animated gifs. I totally need to add these to my blog.
    I never put anything on my neck… Argh…. Maybe I need to factor a neck lift into my retirement…
    Kiri
    Set to Glow

• Vanessa says:

Thank you for the lesson; I got two of the movements correct. Is it a requirement that a toner should be used in our skincare routine?

• Jennifer says:

Great post! Love the use of the moving images to help those of us that are not skincare and makeup savvy! Trying to learn! Thanks again!

• Amanda H says:

I really enjoyed this post. As a visual learner, this made me think about how I’m applying my skincare products. It’s something that I want to try now. Thank you for sharing.

• Adore your flawless skin! But I am confused after reading your routine. Should it be cleanser-toner-serum-eye cream-moisturizer? Are you just not posting in order? I always do serum before moisturizer per professional MA’s advice.

• Great Tips , thanks for Sharing .

• Lauren says:

I really love the use of gifs in this post 😀
    For my neck I just use my day or night cream. Can’t even remember I’ve actually seen a special cream for you neck in here in stores in Belgium.

• Izabela says:

These are great tips. I have recently started using an eye cream and have noticed a difference it made.

Her Hive

• Ashley says:

Great tips! Will have to work these into my routine 🙂

XOXO, Ashley

• Yessenia says:

Thank you for sharing. I must admit it is because of you that I have taken my skincare into another level. You have shared so many tips and I appreciate them. My skin is looking better. Keep the tips coming skincare queen!

• Tina says:

Perfect timing. I was just looking into facial massage. Thank you!!

• August says:

Thank you so much for the tips, I really need to start using my ring finger for the eye creams <3

‘Share’ by August Harvest
    Instagram

• Great tips ! As you said it is very important the order and the way you apply them!

• Elizabeth says:

I’m definitely not as gentle as you are, especially when I’m in a rush, but you’ve just reminded me that I need to be more gentle with skin, Chriselle! 🙂 Loved all of these tips, especially the one about eye cream! I’ve just recently added eye cream in to my skincare routine, so the tips really help!

XO, Elizabeth

• Love your skin care tips! <3 I'm loving everything here!

XOXO //
    SINCERELY OPHELIA | NYC Petite Fashion Blogger

• Leah says:

Great post! I have been using the 10-step Korean skincare method for awhile now and I have seen a major improvement in my skin. Do you use any kind of essence?

• Fatou Diaw says:

This is so cool. I always use toner, serum and a moisturizer.
    xoxo

• Mireia says:

Absolutely love it!

Mireia from TGL

• Megan says:

Great post! Love the articles about skincare!

• Great tips!i loved this post xoxo
    The Pink Pineapple
    New post:http://thepinkpineappleblog.blogspot.com/

• Olivia says:

Your skin care is always so on point! You’re a true expert!
    xoxo

• Love this post! My favorite way to tone my face is the use of Witch Hazel!

• Kay Nguyen says:

Great tips! Turned out I have done everything wrong, thanks for sharing <3

• Jennifer says:

Great tips! I follow most of these steps for my skin care routine. Moisturizing is definitely important! 🙂

• uh I’ve been doing it all wrong! Going to start incorporating these techniques… and also pick up some neck cream! x

• Nicolette says:

Ha, I always forget the steps in the process so this is a nice and clear visual guide. Thanks! Do you prefer a strong single purpose oil or an easy multitasker? Personally, I like to use a vitamin E oil and a jojoba oil layered up.

• La Bijoux Bella | by mia says:

Yes the makeup applying movements are so essential to the skin, it’s one of the important step the we sometimes could easily overlook! 🙂
    Merci for bringing it back to our attention … as always a wonderful post! 🙂

🌸LA BIJOUX BELLA 🌸| By Mia | A Creative Lifestyle Blog

• Ann-Marie says:

So exited about this post! Your skin always look crystal clear!

• […] apply them matter just as much! So today, I’m sharing with you all […] from The Chriselle Factorhttp://thechrisellefactor.com/2017/06/how-to-properly-apply-your-skincare/ from Tumblr […]