How To Wear a Silk Scarf

Ever since my mom gave me my first silk scarf in high school I’ve been obsessed with these chic little things. It has a way of polishing up a look and adding a chic factor to any outfit really. I’ve been incredibly fascinated with women in the ’70s, as they wore scarves with practically everything. It’s almost as if women back then never walked out of the house with either a scarf or a hat. It’s very apparent that silk scarves have finally made a comeback. From a number of style bloggers, to the Saint Laurent, Gucci, and Tommy Hilfiger show, it’s as if everyone has caught a bit of that ’70s flu!  But let’s talk about how to really pull one off without feeling entirely self conscious? I’ll be honest with you, it’s been a while since I’ve last worn a silk scarf, and the first day I decided to give it a try…I was a bit self conscious. But ever since then I’ve been adding a silk scarf  to my looks whenever I can. Not that I’m encouraging anyone to be lazy with their wardrobe,  but if you are ever pressed for time or feeling a bit uninspired to get dressed up…here’s your solution! A silk scarf can instantly make you look uber chic and polished, even on those lazy morning days. *shhh no one has to know!

So you really like this trend, but you really don’t want to look like you walked out of your grandmas closet either. Here are my tips on How To Wear A Silk Scarf:

1. Silk scarves are already labeled as “sophisticated” and “mature”, so you want to make sure that the print is more minimal, modern, and fresh. I’m personally not a huge fan of busy prints, so I kept with a simple black and white polka dotted one.

2. There are so many different shapes & sizes for scarves, so which one to choose? Big square scarves are the most common, so you can always fold it in half and continue to do so until it becomes one slim line. Or you can always find a slim & diagonally cut one that is long & lean…these ones are super popular right now. Or in my case I just took the belt that came with my polka dotted silk dress and wrapped it around my neck twice.

3. I prefer to wear silk scarves with very minimal outfits. I also love to pair silk scarves under a crisp white button up and a pair of jeans. I personally find it to be one of the most flattering outfits that any woman can wear. It’s clean, sophisticated, and so on trend.

4. There are plenty ways to tie a silk scarf, this short knot is one of my favorites and easy to achieve. A more dramatic way is to wear a long skinny scarf and throw one end over your neck or even just letting the two ends hang loose. I also love tying silk scarfs on my wrist or bag for an extra oomph to my outfits!

I encourage each and every one of you to try this look out by adding a silk scarf to a simple outfit. You might be surprised how good a silk scarf looks on you! Hope this post inspired you to try something new!

P.S  Just an FYI, I’m drinking a chai tea latte with coconut milk! I still believe there are benefits to quitting coffee, so even though I can drink it now, I’m trying not to! Which reminds me…Chloe had her first sip of “coffee” yesterday…did you guys see it on my snapchat??? haha (username: @ChriselleLim)

• Kathleen says:

Obsessed with this denim skirt. You look gorgeous and perfectly on point for summer!

• Mary says:

love this look and added charm of the scarf!

• samferina says:

I’m not to keen on the silk short scarves tied around the neck it reminds me somebody trying to cover up a bite mark from a vampire! Lol silly I know guess it’s from old movies but in real life maybe hiding a hickie ha ha

• Stephanie says:

I love this look! Totally simple, yet stylish way to jazz up any outfit.

I’m a fashion blogger in NYC. Check out to view my exclusive interview with a Manhattan based luxury fashion designer. Always looking for new bloggers to collaborate with, so contact me! See you there xx

– Stephanie

• well, I agree with you, add a scarf to your daily outfit and it’ll suddenly look so chic and sophisiticated

• nat says:

love your denim skirt

• Yes, A silk scarf can add polish to any outfit. Trouble is, many people just don’t quite know what to do with one. This video shows a great way to tie a scarf.

• I adore this look so much. It is so playful, feminine, and sexy. That scarf is a major game changer. I have got to try this look!

• Danny & Alex says:

Wow love this story and beautiful outfit! Making us want to buy a silk scarf.
    The Twinne Twins

• Great outfit and I like your your silk scarf pairs with these Saint Laurent dotty shoes!;-) Awesome! Love the sunnies too!
    Toast your Purse with an Outfit!
    Fashion Advice, Events and More

• Thanks for share these fancy styles Outfits, I have also seen the ever dresses on web because on this site have own unique dresses for young girls & women. Now I’m enthused to from your blog. Thanks Author.

• YV says:

Quite obsessed with how the scarf matches your awesome boots.

• Oh.. my. Love this look, for some reason it brings a nostalgic feel <3 Your SLP boots just perfected the whole look! FABULOUS!
    Have a great weekend Chriselle!

• Emily says:

Thanks for the tips Chriselle! For me, I prefer big scarfs. Have a good weekend :)

• Yasmin says:

I love how your scarf matches your booties perfectly!

xx Yasmin

• Christianne says:

Very well said, you just can carry all the styles elegantly.

• Stephanie says:

I love this look. The silk scarf is such a simple, yet chic accessory.

I’m a fashion blogger in NYC. To follow my adventures featuring the best of NYC’s fashion and food, check out Always looking to collaborate with new bloggers, so contact me! See you there xx

– Stephanie

• Natali says:

Amazing pair of boots and a must have denim skirt! You look SO stylish!!

• MARTINA says:

This look is absolutely gorgeous! Boots are amazing!

• Helen says:

I love scarves, but I always feel so self-conscious when I wear them! I definitely agree with you that scarves are a great accessory to wear with minimal outfits because it adds a nice sophisticated touch and doesn’t make your outfit look too busy.

• Monika says:

I like wearing scarves whether its a small silk one or a big cape-like one. I love how your scarf here kind of ties into your shoes too!

• sasa says:

Great tips<3

Shall We Sasa

• Diana says:

Beautiful photos!

|| D I A N A ||

• Christy says:

Great tips! I have a black and white spotted scarf just like yours :) I’ve been wearing my silk scarves as hair accessories – headscarfs, bows and bandanas!

• Liz says:

really like the way you styled this

• Danielle says:

Thank you for the tips! Have a great weekend!

• Emma says:

The scarf looks great with the denim and black

• La Bijoux Bella | by mia says:

Sometimes the reflection is not in the clothes one wears … But how she carries it through that resulted in a wonderful story told. A nice touch for a Friday’s post. Happy weekend! :)

La Bijoux Bella | by mia