LIFESTYLE

How to Make a Relationship Work

0809_napa_hr-9

One of the biggest things I’ve had to learn after I met Allen was juggling both my relationship and career. It was so easy to get lost in my work that Allen often ended up becoming second priority to my work. But over the years, especially after being married, I’ve come to learn how to balance both better. I’ve narrowed it down to 5 tips I’ve learned (and now stick to) over the past few years that works for me to have a happy relationship!

1. Manage your time & priorities

chriselle_lim_making_relationship_work

A year or two ago, I used to work until 3am at night and wake up at 6am to work another full day. My schedule was crazy and it left me with basically no time to Allen because when he’d go to sleep at midnight, I would still be on my laptop. It was not only unhealthy to work constantly every day all day, I also got easily burnt out. I’ve now learned to prioritize my time so that I’d spend a dedicated amount of time solely working, and still leave enough time to spend with Allen. It’s easy to work non-stop, but you have to learn when to shut that down and spend time with your loved one(s)!

2. Have a balanced up and down time

chriselle_lim_making_relationship_work_allen2

Even though I travel very often, when I do have time with the hubs, we make the most of it. We balance our time together with fun activities like traveling, but we also love going to brunch with our frenchies on Sunday mornings. It’s important to balance your time together with up and down time so your relationship is something that not only excites but relaxes and rejuvenates you!

3. Be considerate

chriselle_lim_making_relationship_work_allen3

When work becomes hectic, it’s easy to become very focused on yourself and forget that there’s two in a relationship. You may have deadlines and stressful projects on your plate, but don’t forget that there’s another person in your relationship that’s going through similar things. It’s very important to still be considerate regardless of how busy you may be. Little things like taking him out to eat at his favorite noodle place or even doing the dishes can go a long way!

4. Be and DO Your Best

chriselle_lim_making_relationship_work_allen4

One of the best things about being in a relationship is that you aren’t alone. You have another person to rely on when you’re down, and he/she will help and love you regardless of what you’re going through. But for that reason, it’s very easy to become complacent in a relationship. When I’m busy working, it’s easy to take Allen for granted. But I have to remember that him cooking for me and picking up after our dogs is something he chooses to do for me, and I have to do my best for him too, whether it’s dressing to impress or just cooking his favorite dinner!

5. Grow TOGETHER

chriselle_lim_making_relationship_work_allen5

One of the things I love about Allen is that he is a very kind hearted person. He’s very patient and giving, and he has this ability to make everyone in the room laugh. Don’t tell him I said this, but he’s softened my heart a lot and I’ve in turn become more understanding and patient to my friends and family. He’s also been with me since Day 1 when I was a student at FIDM to now going to fashion week in Paris. First and foremost we are partners and we support each other through the thick and thin of our careers. As time passes you should be going stronger with your partner, learning and growing together, regardless of what obstacles comes in your way.

And there you have it! How to have a perfect relationship .. Just kidding! No relationship is perfect, but as long as you are willing to keep trying, there will always be a way. I hope you found these tips helpful and please feel free to leave me any tips you guys have as well! & follow me on instagram for more crazy photos of the hubs and I!

thechrisellefactor_FINALxoblack

• Jen says:

Love this post and you+Allen!!! Your videos, blog, and wedding series have been so inspirational. Keep up the great work 😀

• Kesha Kikaya says:

I agree with all the points that were made. As I get older I have learned and realized that life is about the close relationships you have with your family and friends and secondly living your greatest passions to the fullest. It’s about balancing the two. Life is about who you make memories with and the quality of life you want with that person, your career is an expression of who you are and a vehicle to help you live that life.

• […] = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); 1. Chriselle Lim on “How to Make your Relationship Work” as a career driven […]

• Point,veste ralph lauren.frTaylor Swift,polo ralph lauren femme, David Beckham… top 10 des victimes de Jimmy FallonPar la rédaction de Puretrend.comUne invitation de Jimmy Fallon ne se refuse pas. Les stars le savent très bien. Mais bien souvent,ralph lauren soldes,, elles doivent aussi accepter de donner de leur personne pour jouer aux jeux de l'animateur américain. Et en matière de jeux idiots,cintura gucci poco prezzo, Jimmy Fallon fourmille d'idées !Ce

• E’ arrivata pa fatidica tepefonata per Andrea Stramaccioni,www.olonsty.it. Ieri in tarda serata Marco Branca ha chiamato p’ormai ex tecnico nerazzurro preannunciandogpi p’annuncio ufficiape depp’esonero.A comunicarpo p’esperto di capciomercato e giornapista per Sqy Sport, Gianpuca Di Marzio,Borse Burberry, attraverso pe pagine dep suo bpog ufficiape: “Ormai mancano sopo gpi annunci. Stramaccioni sarà esonerato, arriverà Mazzarri – spiega ip tep

• This is why I love you guys 🙂

• Francine says:

Thank you for your answer! The simple fact you try to reply to all your readers is the proof of how kind you are. You deserve all your success!
    I’ll keep on following you and wishing you the best!
    xx Francine 🙂 🙂

• Marianna says:

Great tips! I think a lot of people expect relationships to just work on their own, without realizing that you get what you put in. It takes two to be in a relationship, and that goes for more than just the status: boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, wife… those words don’t mean much unless you put your heart and time into them.
    I wish you the happiest life together! You are a beautiful couple!

Marianna | http://www.impressionblend.com

• Thanks for your tips. I totally agree that is is easy to take someone for granted when you got a job that fulfills you. Remember your tips when your little one is born. It is yet another time consuming job you add.

• Lisa says:

These are some really good points to keep in mind!
    I can imagine it being difficult and of course you guys dont share everything all the time you always seem so zen with each other! Amazing!

• 미화 says:

인스타,유튜브채널,블로그의 좋은 말들 좋은 사진들을 보면서 많이 배우고 있습니다.

건강하시고 행복하세요^^

• Xenia Mara says:

Hey, guys ! I have this really amazing fashion and lifestyle blog, you will fall in love with !

• Ilia Mura says:

Loved this. You are such an inspiring woman and I love how young women can look up to you in so many ways! X

• You inspire me so much !!! specially because you’re married and you work in fashion. You inspire my life !

• Luciana says:

Great Tips, you two are lovely. In case you are interested in belts, check out http://adacollection.com/pages/above-the-jeans-an-ada-belt-story

• Melissa says:

Such adorable tips Chriselle! Love you guys!
    xo,
    Melissa
    MissyOnMadison.com

• Francine says:

I love your blog, It’s so beautiful and so well-finished, but what I love most is how genuine and kind you are.
    I usually don’t leave comments on other blogs, but I discovered yours few months ago and I just can tell you how much I like it!
    There are few bloggers cute and talented as you are in my opinion, so congratulations for all your work, your relationship (you both are so cute) and your new beautiful adventure, you ‘ll be a gorgeous mom too!
    So… Best wishes from a new reader from Italy!
    xx Francine

• Chriselle says:

Hi Francine!

Wow! Thank you, I feel very thankful that you took that time to write to me! I greatly appreciate and look forward to hearing from you again! People like you inspire me to do what I’m doing! 🙂 xoxo

• I’m not into marriages and stuff but this post made me crave after a serious relationship. The photos are just so nostalgic and cute. You’re definitely one of my favorite couples !

• Yang says:

I just loooove both of you 😀

• OXANAMUA says:

Amazing tips! Thanks for sharing!

OXANAMUA Beauty Blog by Oksana Janson 3-color-lipgloss review!
    Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Tumblr

• Ance says:

I’m really thankful to hear it all from an experienced person and I wanna hear more about time management

• Krista says:

Thanks for the insightful and wise words. I started my own company nearly two years ago and have found it difficult to juggle work and personal time. It’s really important to keep an open dialogue with your partner and not shut them out (like I did at first). Love the blog and your inspiring posts!

Vänliga hälsningar från Sverige 🙂

• Barbara1923 says:

I love this post Chriselle. There are so many things I still have to learn though especially since my first real one was spent growing up after him and now I’m grown, I’m just starting another one and need to un-learn some of my independent habits.

p.s. i love your site and visit it literally everyday.
    Love from Nigeria

Barbara
    Lagos, Nigeria

• Kamara H says:

I loved this post. I remind myself sometimes to appreciate all the things my s/o does for me daily, such as cooking dinner after he works 11 hours straight without even a lunch break. It’s so important never to take anything for granted, and to give back in your own way in return. You and Allen make a wonderful couple!

• Chriselle says:

Hi Kamara, your s/o sounds pretty amazing! You are right, we should not take anything for granted. I’m a big believer in in doing your best and like you said giving back in your own way. I hope you are able to apply these tips to your relationship! 🙂 And thank you for your kind words! xoxo

• Sissa H says:

Chriselle,
    thanks a lot for this post… I having problems with my boyfriend because im a workaholic hahah
    like you said, is easy to get lost working in something that you love… I will try to follow your tips, hope it makes everything better because he is really the best!
    You are a huge inspiration to me…
    Congrats for your baby!! 🙂 Hope he/she brings you and Allen a lot of joy and hapiness!!

XOXO

• Chriselle says:

Hi Sissa, I appreciate your sweet comment and for sharing your experience with me. I’ve been there too, and it gets to a point where you just have to prioritize the important things in your life. I hope my tips will help you out! Good luck to you love! xoxo

• miri says:

What a beautiful article, Chriselle! Thank you for sharing:-)
    XX
    Miri

• Natali says:

I can completely agree on all of these but esp. on 1,3 and 5! Relationships require lots of “work” and they need to be taken care of all the time. 🙂
    Great post!

• Vivian says:

Such lovely photos of you both, and great advice Chriselle~

LIVE . IN . LOVE ✞

~

• Anna says:

thanks for the tips, awesome post!

• Kiara King says:

What a wonderful, insightful and honest article. I have to admit, being in our early/mid twenties, both my partner and I are dedicated to our careers and do tend to work constantly. We’re both so dedicated to being successful, but not as individuals, rather as a couple, which I believe is crucial in making it work.

We’re lucky enough that my work involves a lot of travel, which he is able to be flexible and come along with me. Of course I always make sure I make time for us time, without technology, social media or Instagram (true story!).

And I most definitely appreciate every single breakfast, lunch and dinner he cooks for me during the super stressful moments (oh, and the coffee!). We appreciate and love each other, so there is no question as to whether it’s working or not. It’s all about communication.

• Jules says:

That was such a thoughtful and sincere post. I liked it. I like your sense of humor too!