The Controversy

posted by on 2014.02.10, under Fashion Week, Outfits

cover_chriselle_Lim_givenchy_sweater_midi_flouncy_skirt_mini_Pandora_box_bag_NYFW_fall_2014_New_york_Fashion_week_7cover_chriselle_Lim_givenchy_sweater_midi_flouncy_skirt_mini_Pandora_box_bag_NYFW_fall_2014_New_york_Fashion_week_8

chriselle_Lim_givenchy_sweater_midi_flouncy_skirt_mini_Pandora_box_bag_NYFW_fall_2014_New_york_Fashion_week_3chriselle_Lim_givenchy_sweater_midi_flouncy_skirt_mini_Pandora_box_bag_NYFW_fall_2014_New_york_Fashion_week_7chriselle_Lim_givenchy_sweater_midi_flouncy_skirt_mini_Pandora_box_bag_NYFW_fall_2014_New_york_Fashion_week_2chriselle_Lim_givenchy_sweater_midi_flouncy_skirt_mini_Pandora_box_bag_NYFW_fall_2014_New_york_Fashion_week_5chriselle_Lim_givenchy_sweater_midi_flouncy_skirt_mini_Pandora_box_bag_NYFW_fall_2014_New_york_Fashion_week_1

Photography by Jana Williams

Sometimes I’m torn between my own inspirations, and the opinions of others.  There are certain looks that immediately translate from the runway to real life, and there are others that take a bit more time to digest. This Givenchy look being one of them. When I saw these pieces on the Givenchy runway ( and on Forward By Elyse Walker’s site) ,  it immediately grabbed my attention for many reasons – the loud multi print, the oversized sweater paired with the body con flouncy skirt. It was interesting, different, and unexpected. To be honest it was not a look that I instinctually gravitated towards immediately, but it did leave a lasting memory as I kept thinking of this look.

Would I wear this outfit out on a regular day to go grocery shopping or to the office? Mmmmm…probably not. Individually the pieces are just as striking, and I would most likely pair them a little differently on a non fashion week week. Imagine this oversized black sweater with a pair of black leather pants + pointy pumps… that would be the perfectly casual & chic ensemble, don’t you think? And this skirt paired with a button up blouse for an extremely glamorous look.

If you follow me on Instagram it was quite The Controversy HERE when followers talked about this outfit. Lets say some loved it and some hated it. First off why do the hateful and negative comments stand out so much more than the positive ones?  Second, I believe that fashion week is the chance to really push boundaries, and to go outside of the box. Sometimes I’m torn between my own inspirations, and the opinions of others. Have you guys ever felt that way before?

chrisellesig

P.S To see more of my New York Fashion Week  journey make sure to follow me on Instagram and check out Jana Williams blog as she is traveling with me!

OUTFIT DETAILS

Sweater-Givenchy

Skirt- Givenchy

Purse- Givenchy

Boots- Lanvin ( similar here & in suede)

COMMENTS

La La LOVE that Givenchy Sweater! So amazing… drool.
xo,
Kassandra Brooks

Kassandra Brooks ( February 19, 2014 at 2:01 PM )

When I first saw these photos, I was surprised because this look is gorgeous!! The whole style is so powerfull as someone said here! I love it!! You can rock any look!!!!

Melissa ( February 17, 2014 at 5:28 PM )

This outfit is incredible- from head to toe!

Peak 25 ( February 12, 2014 at 6:47 AM )

You look empowered with this look!
It’s unexspected but it works-
That’s the beauty of fashion! Some people get it, some people don’t. Don’t let the critics outshine your creativity =)
That skirt is food for imagination, I can see it in so many parings *_*

– Leticia

Leticia Na Bita ( February 12, 2014 at 5:40 AM )

It’s eye-catching and graphic. I say it’s a go, esp for NYFW!

xo, Irina

Irina Bond ( February 11, 2014 at 6:40 PM )

I think it’s very chic. And I love that skirt :)

Lorien ( February 11, 2014 at 3:15 PM )

Crazy awesome outfit Chriselle! I think you put a lot of yourself into what you do, it is what makes your blog so authentic and wonderful to follow. You rock for putting yourself out there and taking risks. It’s the perfect ensemble for fashion week and amazing deconstructed for real life as separate pieces. Ideally, it would be nice if people didn’t post online what they wouldn’t say in person. This isn’t high school!
You have inspired me and helped me to push my comfort zone with your posts, keep up the amazing work!

Monica ( February 11, 2014 at 2:58 PM )

As much as it is unnecessary that some people leave hateful comments, sometimes we need to accept that we also get things wrong. It’s not possible for you, or anyone, to get everything right all the time, and while I agree that fashion is creative and subjective, this time it’s a bit of a miss of an outfit. Maybe you could be just as graceful to admit that the look doesn’t really work on any level, and by even having this post labelled as “Controversy” you’re just drawing more attention to haters when you could have let it go.

Dee ( February 11, 2014 at 1:54 PM )

Wow there’s a lot going on in this outfit but somehow it works. I think it truly comes down to who wears it, post after post your outfits push that next level so we expect something that makes us look and for a moment think “Mmmmm, I don’t like this.” and then the next moment think “Well actually it works.” I’m sure if I tried to wear this I wouldn’t be able to pull it off :)

xoxo, Diana

Diana ( February 11, 2014 at 12:40 PM )

When I spotted this outfit on your Insta feed I admit my first thought was “I could never pull that off” but yet, I felt like you TOTALLY ROCKED IT! That’s the funny thing, I noticed all the negative comments and most of them were simply personal opinions of people who wouldn’t wear the outfit or could never pull it off. We are entitled to our opinion but I think people confuse that bold opinion they have with fashion critiquing. This was an absolutely stunning look and you’re so right, its that time to push the boundaries an i think you did so perfectly. Keep it up gorgeous!

Jenny

Jenny Nov ( February 11, 2014 at 11:56 AM )

Chriselle, this is something that makes your blog, videos, and facebook pages so addicting (at least for me)! It’s artistic, fun and bold. You always bring something new, creative, and interesting to your outfits, and this is why I have followed you for 3+ years. Sometimes the outfit ideas can be applied in a daily life, and sometimes it’s more experimental and more runway looks (and probably art?!) :) I am by no means anywhere close to the fashion profession, but I can feel you pour your heart to all of your projects. Just wanna say please keep doing what your doing, and thank you for bringing us “chic” ideas every day!

Marion ( February 11, 2014 at 10:41 AM )

Marion, thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful words and support these 3+ years! I really appreciate it that I have such amazing subscribers like you!

Chriselle ( February 11, 2014 at 11:10 AM )

this look is amazing, Chriselle, and don`t get upset with the haters` comments. Styles and opinions differ so i`ts absolutely okey that some people love it, some people don`t. the point is that all of us are unique and different in our own way and all in all that`s what makes life (and streetstyle) interesting and inspiring)))

Sasha ( February 11, 2014 at 8:11 AM )

Sasha! I will take your advice and I agree so much with you!

Chriselle ( February 11, 2014 at 11:10 AM )

I like the sweater and the skirt as well.
They would look great if paired with something else. But they look great as well when worn as an outfit. I like your outfit. I think it’s crazy and fun. You should wear whatever you want as long as it makes you feel confident.

pallawi ( February 11, 2014 at 5:54 AM )

You know what I will ;) Thanks for you comment love!

Chriselle ( February 11, 2014 at 11:11 AM )

just on look at the picture and its definitely a controversy ! :)

Anja

Anja Skrba ( February 11, 2014 at 5:40 AM )

Hmmm too much patterns for me! Too much going on..

Fashion Party blog ( February 11, 2014 at 4:43 AM )

You look very pretty! I love your sweater and boots!

Salut, Kera.

Petra Horváth ( February 11, 2014 at 12:29 AM )

Thanks so much! Those boots are my all time fave I’ve had them for so long now!

Chriselle ( February 11, 2014 at 11:11 AM )

When I saw you in person, walking down the stairs at NYFW I thought “that’s Chriselle Lim”. Even though it’s not what you would usually wear, it’s Fashion Week, it’s the week were you’re supposed to be artistic, different and BOLD about your look.
That night when I signed onto Facebook and saw all those hate comments, I found that so hurtful. If it’s hurtful to a reader like me, imagine how much more scaring that must be for you. Seriously though, if they are following you on social media, they should expect the unexpected.
“Not everything is pretty in everyone’s eyes, but as long as you feel beautiful in it then you are” is my motto.
Hope you enjoy the rest of NYFW! I can’t wait to see more!

Eunice ( February 10, 2014 at 5:43 PM )

I love your motto! Thanks for sharing your kind words with me!

Chriselle ( February 11, 2014 at 11:12 AM )

I just want to know — do you ever look bad?

Ann ( February 10, 2014 at 5:06 PM )

Ann you’re a sweetheart! thanks love!

Chriselle ( February 11, 2014 at 11:12 AM )

Love the pattern of the sweater. It’s just amazing. The boots is awesome too. Love how you put everything together to create the shape. You look awesome as always<3

sasa ( February 10, 2014 at 4:00 PM )

Sasa I try to get creative as I can any other way is just boring!

Chriselle ( February 11, 2014 at 11:13 AM )

This is not fashion at all. It looks like she is going to a clown party. I am sorry, I am a Chriselle fan, I tried to like it, but I could not. The sweater looks like something I would see at my grandmother’s closet.

Jackie ( February 10, 2014 at 2:59 PM )

Very bold pairing and I give you kudos for doing that! Probably a bit too bold for me to wear together, but you push that envelope and why not? It’s NYFW! Don’t listen to those haters! You have a great following for a reason! Keep pushing the envelope and being bold. The rest of us will catch up! ;-)

NEW POST:: VALENTINE’s WISH

xoxo

Eye Like Fashion ( February 10, 2014 at 2:10 PM )

In love with your booties, such a great color! x

Rougeuse ( February 10, 2014 at 2:04 PM )

You’re awesome, such a bold look! XO

Marija ( February 10, 2014 at 1:15 PM )

I think the thoughts of others is the reason so many people lose themselves. It is up to you to not let the negative comments change who you are. If you like to mix prints, then do it. If you like to wear a red bra under a white shirt, go crazy. The worst thing a person can do is change who they are to please others. Always make yourself happy.

Tahirah D ( February 10, 2014 at 12:56 PM )

I agree 100% !!! Such a great point you make!

Chriselle ( February 10, 2014 at 1:49 PM )

Print on print done right! Such a fearless and creative look Chriselle, lusting over Givenchy prints~

LIVE.IN.LOVE

~

Vivian ( February 10, 2014 at 12:23 PM )

Thanks Vivian! I’m so happy you enjoyed this post!

Chriselle ( February 10, 2014 at 1:48 PM )

Well said! I love to see how you put your outfits together – it’s just like the runway shows here at NYFW – some of the styles aren’t ones I’d wear but I love to see the creativity and imagination behind the design. You always look fabulous,
xx,
Kristi

Kristi ( February 10, 2014 at 12:06 PM )

Kristi, Yes it’s all about the appreciation of the design and creativity!

Chriselle ( February 10, 2014 at 1:48 PM )

I appreciate the love Hana! It’s my new fave bag!

Chriselle ( February 10, 2014 at 1:44 PM )

Really cool way to mix prints
emmastyleguide.blogspot.com

Emma ( February 10, 2014 at 11:35 AM )

Thanks Emma!

Chriselle ( February 10, 2014 at 1:44 PM )

I think that some outfits are too awesome for common people because they are used to wear casual clothes so when they see something more original they dislike it automatically. And the meanest of them spread their venom only on the Internet.

Thank to you Chriselle I start to mix prints and feel more and more confident! I don’t care when people don’t like the way I get dressed. People should remember that Fashion is like a game and you can try many and many different things. (Sorry if I made mistakes, English is not my mother tongue)

xoxo

Dalila ( February 10, 2014 at 11:16 AM )

You wrote that perfectly! And I agree completely! Thanks for your wonderful comment!

Chriselle ( February 10, 2014 at 1:44 PM )

Okay, I have to admit that I had my doubts about the aesthetic of this outfit, but as I looked at the photos, I felt a powerful vibe. It’s safe to say that I like it. It is an unconventional mix of pieces which might have confused people, but what they have to understand is that at NYFW you should make bold moves. Even if they don’t make sense. If you like it, then screw the controversy. You are fabulous! I hope that one day after my student days are over, I can have the chance to attend runway shows, and I would definitely wear what inspires me.
언니 파이팅! <3

Dilek ( February 10, 2014 at 10:42 AM )

Yes I love making bold moves! I’m glad you understand! I hope that you can do all that you dream! Thanks for stopping by today!

Chriselle ( February 10, 2014 at 1:43 PM )

Such a unique outfit! Not everybody will get it, but I think that it’s amazing!

Natali ( February 10, 2014 at 10:21 AM )

Thanks Natali! Well I’m glad YOU get it1 ;)

Chriselle ( February 10, 2014 at 1:41 PM )

I would have to admit that Givenchy does some of the best patterns, I was so in love with their purple panther collection awhile back. And this season, they really look a risk in mixing patterns. My definite favorite though is the sweater you’re wearing, loving the print and the contrast, and a very classic pattern that would be versatile with many other more casual looks. ;)

New Post up…

Tsangtastic by Jenny Tsang ( February 10, 2014 at 10:20 AM )

Jenny I agree! I can imagine wearing that seater so many ways!

Chriselle ( February 10, 2014 at 1:41 PM )

love the sweater!!
Xo,
Belen

Belen Baquerizo ( February 10, 2014 at 10:17 AM )

Belen, me too!! Great pattern that I just adore!

Chriselle ( February 10, 2014 at 1:40 PM )

ahhh i think you look amazing and the pattern clashing is FINE! let haters hate. As long as you’re fine with it nothing’s matter

xoxo
cindy

cindy ( February 10, 2014 at 10:17 AM )

Cindy thanks for your support!

Chriselle ( February 10, 2014 at 1:40 PM )

Love the slouchy jumper and I really like your lighten hair.

Jessica Rose ( February 10, 2014 at 9:59 AM )

Thanks Jessica! The hair was another update I did recently before I left for NY Im glad you like it!

Chriselle ( February 10, 2014 at 1:39 PM )

I love the risk you took. Looks great, i don´t know if I love more the skirt or the sweater.

LAZYCATSTYLE

Ana Gonzalez ( February 10, 2014 at 9:57 AM )

Thanks Ana, I know what you mean it’s hard to choose!

Chriselle ( February 10, 2014 at 1:39 PM )
monkeyshines ( February 10, 2014 at 9:54 AM )

Thanks!

Chriselle ( February 10, 2014 at 1:39 PM )

I see fashion, especially stuff at fashion shows, as an art form, not something you wear on a day to day. It’s meant to be crazy and challenge norms, so we can take what we want from it, as you’ve shown!
As for inspiration vs others’ opinions, I don’t get too bothered – if you’re respecting their opinion, they should respect yours :)

Chris ( February 10, 2014 at 9:34 AM )

Great comment! Thanks for stopping by today!

Chriselle ( February 10, 2014 at 1:29 PM )

I really don’t like this outfit…it looks so random and unmatched.

Daniela ( February 10, 2014 at 9:29 AM )

pagetop